Notices

Any advice on a '98+ V6 Coupe?

Old 05-05-2003, 09:34 AM
CoryTKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice on a '98+ V6 Coupe?

I'm looking at purchasing a '98+ V6 Accord coupe and was wondering what to look for and what model years to stay away from?

Thanks guys
Old 05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
jschmid

Great car. Talk to 98CoupeV6. He'll expound the finer points on the V6 coupes to you. Oh, and don't mis-spell VTEC around him. He'll cut your balls off and feed them to you.

I'm serious though, he'll hook you up.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:46 AM
RY2K
5 speed

well Mr. tau kappa epsilon
the question is which year not to stay away from
they all good in my opinion(but i have a '91 so i can't tell you the recalls but you can look it up)
1998-2000 has a different front bumper than the '01-'02
and obviously the price difference beween a '98 and a 2002

good luck
Old 05-05-2003, 11:57 AM
CoryTKE

Thanks guys, I'm trying to sell my C4 Vette, I need a car with a little more room. I figured the Accord would be a great choice.

You can see it here. -->
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=550962
:thumbup:
Old 05-05-2003, 01:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jschmid
Great car. Talk to 98CoupeV6. He'll expound the finer points on the V6 coupes to you. Oh, and don't mis-spell VTEC around him. He'll cut your balls off and feed them to you.

I'm serious though, he'll hook you up.
:rofl:

Cory, there are no specific years to stay away from. 01-02 look a bit better from the factory with updated front and rear bumpers, but most people would agree with me that the 98-00 with OEM underbody kit (it will not fit on 01-02) looks better. That can be purchased for about $450.

The 01 models also have better features...floormats are standard, LX-V6 has painted side sills, V6 models get traction control, EX-V6 gets side airbags, and a few others.

The options I would recommend (www.handaaccessories.com) are the OEM underbody kit and spoiler (or for 01-02, just spoiler), leather steering wheel (unless you have an EX that has it standard) and stainless steel exhaust tips.

The LX is a basic Accord Coupe with all the necessary features (pwr everything), the SE (special edition) has some goodies like moonroof and rims, and the EX is loaded with everything. Leather is an option on the EX, but standard on the EX-V6.

If you have any questions, let me know

Oh, I almost forgot...let me list some common problems:

1) Transmission failure (occurs in 1.6% of V6 models). If the car is on its first tranny and has 30k on the clock, it should be perfectly fine though.
2) Clock light goes out often. Costs about 2 bucks.
3) EGR on V6 models is a problem. Listen for a pinging noise from the engine at midrange RPMs. Costs about $250 including labor.

Those are the only three I can think off...it's a great car! When you get it, I would suggest 2 things:
1) Put on some nice tires to make it handle very well
2) Take out the resonator to give it a deeper growl at high RPMs
3) Put on some Honda accessories

Good luck :thumbup:

Chris