Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Suspension Options for DC Integra LS (1997)

Old 04-30-2003, 03:41 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Options for DC Integra LS (1997)

Hi guys, got a serious issue here that I'd appreciate some input on. I've posted this in the INTEGRA forum as well, and have recieved no responses as of yet. The results of my HAN search failed to address my question in terms of specific handling behavior. So here goes...

My 97 LS is still running on its original shocks & springs, and I'm looking to accomplish the following as I upgrade.

1) Lower the car about 1.5". Any lower and the crappy roads will decimate any future bodywork (still kicking around the idea of a bodykit)

2) Dramatically reduce the amount of acceleration squat and brake dive I now have to deal with.

3) Make the car rotate better and corner flatter than it does currently.

4) Given the above, maintain a firm, but not teeth-chipping, crashy ride quality.

In the research I've done thus far, I've come upon 3 setups of varying expense. I'd like to get some input from those of you with these [or similar] setups, particularly in terms of how well they achieve the goals I've stated above.

SETUP ONE) KYB AGX Shocks w/ Skunk2 coil-over kit (550 lb/in front, 450 lb/in rear), 1 inch Progress Susp Rear Anti-Roll Bar

SETUP TWO) TEIN Super Street Coilovers w/ EDFC & Upper pillow-ball mounts. Stock Anti-Roll Bars.

SETUP THREE) Koni Yellows, Ground Control Coilovers, Prothane Urethane Bushings. Stock Anti-Roll Bars.

FYI: The car currently runs on 16 x 7", reasonably light alloy wheels (5Zigen Fighters) shod with 205/40R16 Nitto NT450 tyres. Given that my annual mileage is dropping, when these wear out (in apx 2yrs) I was considering replacing them with a softer tyre along the lines of the Toyo Proxes T1-S...unless it complicates things.

And while SCCA / NASA auto-x is currently beyond my financial and scheduling means, there will be times, off and on, when the car will see track time. The majority will be spent on public roads.

Any input would be appreciated immensely. Thanks in advance.
:bigok: (bigok)

Dave

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-30-2003, 07:15 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Default Re: Suspension Options for DC Integra LS (1997)

Originally posted by NorCal DC4
Hi guys, got a serious issue here that I'd appreciate some input on. I've posted this in the INTEGRA forum as well, and have recieved no responses as of yet. The results of my HAN search failed to address my question in terms of specific handling behavior. So here goes...

My 97 LS is still running on its original shocks & springs, and I'm looking to accomplish the following as I upgrade.

1) Lower the car about 1.5". Any lower and the crappy roads will decimate any future bodywork (still kicking around the idea of a bodykit)

2) Dramatically reduce the amount of acceleration squat and brake dive I now have to deal with.

3) Make the car rotate better and corner flatter than it does currently.

4) Given the above, maintain a firm, but not teeth-chipping, crashy ride quality.

In the research I've done thus far, I've come upon 3 setups of varying expense. I'd like to get some input from those of you with these [or similar] setups, particularly in terms of how well they achieve the goals I've stated above.

SETUP ONE) KYB AGX Shocks w/ Skunk2 coil-over kit (550 lb/in front, 450 lb/in rear), 1 inch Progress Susp Rear Anti-Roll Bar

SETUP TWO) TEIN Super Street Coilovers w/ EDFC & Upper pillow-ball mounts. Stock Anti-Roll Bars.

SETUP THREE) Koni Yellows, Ground Control Coilovers, Prothane Urethane Bushings. Stock Anti-Roll Bars.

FYI: The car currently runs on 16 x 7", reasonably light alloy wheels (5Zigen Fighters) shod with 205/40R16 Nitto NT450 tyres. Given that my annual mileage is dropping, when these wear out (in apx 2yrs) I was considering replacing them with a softer tyre along the lines of the Toyo Proxes T1-S...unless it complicates things.

And while SCCA / NASA auto-x is currently beyond my financial and scheduling means, there will be times, off and on, when the car will see track time. The majority will be spent on public roads.

Any input would be appreciated immensely. Thanks in advance.
:bigok: (bigok)

Dave
You don't want to go with that stiff of a spring if you don't want bone/teeth chattering ride. My car is stiff enough with 350f/400r springs with Koni Yellows. And my car should be the same weight as your car.

And personally if you are going to drive this on the street you don't want your car to ROTATE on the street. Cause rotation can lead to oversteer which is bad.

But the biggest improvement was my springs, shocks AND polyurethane bushings all around. Yes it's time consuming and sometimes expensive to do but it was well worth it. If you can get the black ones since I heard they are impregnanted with graphic to get rid of squeaks.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:16 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Thanks for your input. The spring rates seemed a little high and the Progress Bar seemed a bit big - for a DC Teg - to me.
I really appreciate your input. :thumbup:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:50 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Thanks for your input. The spring rates seemed a little high and the Progress Bar seemed a bit big - for a DC Teg - to me.
I really appreciate your input. :thumbup:
Too bad you can't take a ride in my car and just feel what's it like. And to think I wanted to go with 400f/450r And I know someoene with a 1989 Civic Si (2200lbs) running 500f/600r springs ACK!
Old 05-01-2003, 01:45 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

OY! :shocked: :huh:
This guy must be a masochist to run those rates on the street....rebound damping must be really firm...!

Old 05-30-2003, 10:44 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

I would go for the Tokico HP package - great for someone who wants a little firmer ride and slight lowering.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:53 AM
doctorsohc
I HATE SCAMMERS!!!!

Default Re: Suspension Options for DC Integra LS (1997)

Damn! I run those rates one my stang (3100 lbs) and it rattles your brain! Even the koni yellows are gonna be too stiff for street driving IMHO. I don't think you'd want to hit a pot hole with that kind of set up!