Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How hard is it to replace transmission cover?

Old 04-29-2003, 01:16 PM
tommyg12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to replace transmission cover?

I have the chance to buy a '02 Civic that has been hit in the right front. Not real bad but the right front subframe nicked a chip out of the right side trans cover (automatic).

The structural damage has been fixed and the car runs and drives perfect. I can get the cover for about $160 but I don't know how difficult it would be to put on. The car only has 1,000 miles on it and is very cheap.

Anybody have an idea? thanks in advance, Tommy,
Old 04-29-2003, 02:15 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I'd like to get clarification on one thing..

Did the case of the tranny actually split? Or did a mounting flange bust off in the wreck?

Most of the time, trans work isn't DIY. They can be a real pain to reassemble, plus I'm concerned over the integrity of the tranny given the damage it sustained.

I'd be pragmatic about it and replace the tranny [if the case has actually split or has a hole]

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-29-2003, 06:30 PM
tommyg12

The right side cover has the front most rounded corner knocked off. The main case is fine but the right side cover that has a hole in it about the size of a dime. I've taken the fender off and the case is easy to reach, I just want to make sure that there is nothing that will "spring" out. If you say that to replace the cover is more difficult than it looks then I will let a tranny shop do it.

I put a piece of tape over the hole during the repair and their has been no leakage while test driving, but tape is certainly not a long term solution. I'm not concerned about the longevity of the trans as I have so little in the car that if the trans fails I can either part it out or sell the car as is.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:03 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

:eh:

Yeah, the tape certainly isn't a good long-term solution.

Because of the alignment of the layshafts and hydraulic conduits within the case, if the impact was strong enough to put a hole in the case, I would question two things: where that broken piece went and what other internal damage the trans may have sustained...

Just my 2 ˘.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!