Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

is welding hard?

Old 04-28-2003, 10:33 PM
EddieK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is welding hard?

if i were to rent a welder (if thats possible) would it be hard to weld the front of an integra fender and the back of a civic fender together? would it be hard to weld on radiator support?
Old 04-29-2003, 12:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's not easy. It takes training to do it well.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:56 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

And sheet metal is particularly hard. Excess heat can warp the metal, leading to headaches that can usually only be corrected w/ body filler.

What is it that you're trying to do, specifically.... :dunno:
Which model year Integra "front"?
Which model year Civic "rear"?
And also, clarify what you mean by "front"and "rear", please.
Do you mean joining two fenders along a cut edge? [ If so, fiberglassing the two halves together would be a better solution, probably..]

If you can answer these questions, I can help you out to a greater degree. Thanks.

-Dave

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-29-2003, 06:59 PM
MikeR

yea, it's not recomended for a novalice to try it on a fender. i've been welding for over 6 years and sheet metal is no breeze, especially if it's an exterior body panel, you could tack it pretty easy and use filler to finish it up. but i wouldn't recoment waisting the time, money, and effort to diy on this one. i wouldn't wont to and i welded and fabricated for a living.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:47 PM
EddieK

Originally posted by NorCal DC4
And sheet metal is particularly hard. Excess heat can warp the metal, leading to headaches that can usually only be corrected w/ body filler.

What is it that you're trying to do, specifically.... :dunno:
Which model year Integra "front"?
Which model year Civic "rear"?
And also, clarify what you mean by "front"and "rear", please.
Do you mean joining two fenders along a cut edge? [ If so, fiberglassing the two halves together would be a better solution, probably..]

If you can answer these questions, I can help you out to a greater degree. Thanks.

-Dave
i changed my mind and decided to put a 99civic front end on a 93Si. by front and rear i mean cutting the civic fender in half and cutting a new civic fender in half and weld the half of the 99 onto the 93fender. yeah, i meant joining two fenders along a cut edge.

what is tacking?

i know it seems hopeless but i know of a guy that did this conversion for his car and it came out crappy cuz it was his first time but all the mistakes he was able to turn into a flawless conversion in the end. this was his first try. i'm really stuck on doing all the work myself, thats why i wanted to do it... for bragging rights that i did it myself, instead of paying some high-priced body shop do it.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:35 AM
preylude99

yea, doing it and doing it well are two different things. Some people are really good at it and make it clean/smooth, some get globs of it everywhere lol
Old 04-30-2003, 10:56 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

My best suggestion would be to take careful measurements of the length of your EG (92-95) fenders and the locations of the bolt holes along the top edge [under the hood] and the rear edge [where the fender bolts to the frame, near the door] and compare them to the EK (96-01) fenders. It may be possible to simply bolt up the EK fenders [or redrill the bolt holes; be sure to re-prime the fender if you do] to your EG body...then use body filler to smooth out the creaseline along the top edge of the fender [for aesthetics].

Give it a shot.

Dave

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-30-2003, 04:40 PM
MikeR

tacking, is spot welding portions of the metal every so often, for instance on a fendor with aprox. 8" of surface area you could tack it every 2-3"s with a 1/4 to 1/2" bead and fill the rest with filler, that would cut down on the ammount of heat related stress and fatigue to the metal since it is so thin.