Notices

Mad at my 98 civic LX! Sudden power loss / hesitation is making me nuts!

Old 04-27-2003, 11:58 AM
ffslide
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by EddieP
I could have the code scanned and know where to look for the problem.

well if no check light comes on, it shouldnt be any of the engine sensors then. (at least thats how it works?)

it might be clogged injectors, i always use fuel injector cleaner since new every other fill up.....0.99 cents at local 99cent stores!!!!

let us know whats up
Old 04-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally posted by EddieP
You think the TPS sensor might be the problem? Any way to check it? I wish I had some data logging or diagnostic software so I could figure out what exactly is going on
Yes, you can check the TPS, basically all it is is a potentiometer. You can check it as follows:

1. Follow the wiring harness from the TPS to the back of the intake manifold and remove it from the firewall. This will give you more rrom to probe the electrical terminals. Check the electrical connector at the sensore for a sung fit. Check the terminals in the connector and the wires leading to it for looseness and breaks. Repair as required.

2. Using a voltmeter, check the reference voltage from the ECM/PCM. Chonnect the positive probe to the yellow/blue wire and the negative probe to ground. It should read approximately 5.0 volts.

3. Next, check the TPS signal voltage with the engine OFF, throttle fully closed and TPS electrical connector connected, connect the probes of the voltmeter to the red/black wire(positive probe) and ground(negative probe) (Note: use a straight pin to backprobe the connector terminal) Gradually open the throttle valve and observe the TPS voltage. With the throttle valve fully closed, the voltage should read approximately 0.5 volts. Slowly move the throttle valve and see if the voltage changes as the sensor travels from idle to full throttle. The voltage should increase smoothly to approximately 4.5 volts. If the readings are incorrect, replace the TPS.

4. A problem in any of the TPS circuits will set a code. Once a trouble code is set, the ECM/PCM will use an artificial default value for TPS and some vehicle performance will return.

REPLACEMENT OF TPS:

5. The TPS is an integral part of the throttle body and must be replaced with the throttle body as a unit.

This came out of my Haynes manual as procedure for TPS check and replacement.

Good luck. I would still check the EGR. Especially if you live in a big city and are required to burn the ozone friendly gas. That stuff seems to wreek havic on engines.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 PM
thebigjcp

I had a similar problem, turned out to be a bad wire in the dizy going to the coil.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
RedlineBoyzCRX
EG6

It could be a wire in the dizzy. The TPS can be replaced without the whole TB. You just have to know how to set the TPS the right way.

Check all you wires going into you distributer, and try checking all ur wires IN your distributer.
Loose wires suck!