Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

So here is an interesting topic to discuss :)

Old 04-22-2003, 08:05 AM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So here is an interesting topic to discuss :)

As we all know in stock class you can only monkey around with the front sway bars.

Stock size in my car is 23mm front and 19mm rear.

UUC motorworks has a 25.4mm front that I can use with my car.

Right now the suspension is stock. Front tire is 235/45/17 and rear is 255/40/17. Toyo T1-S.

I still get signifiant amount of understeer. I want to reduce understeer and also body roll at the same time.

I would like your thoughts.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:13 AM
The Beav
i

you can change shocks in stock class to, i say get some koni yellows instead
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 AM
DakarM

Originally posted by thewretchedbeaver
you can change shocks in stock class to, i say get some koni yellows instead

yeah I know and I will be changing my shocks.

going with Bilstein sports revalved to my specs.

here is what an experienced track junky said.
I respect his opinion. He has some nice track cars and is in the process of designing his own track car.

at stock ride height it should help quite a bit by limiting roll, and the car should stay fairly neutral unless you push it into oversteer. turn-in should be improved noticeably, and there should be less of the 'steer-roll-settle-turn' thing that the stock suspension does.

at lowered ride height it might further help turn-in (which is already better on a lowered car) but can reduce overall grip unless you set up camber to match.

all this of course depends on how stiff the bar is, what tires you're running, etc...
LCD Squad #0001
Old 04-22-2003, 12:12 PM
The Beav
i

Originally posted by DakarM
yeah I know and I will be changing my shocks.

going with Bilstein sports revalved to my specs.

here is what an experienced track junky said.
I respect his opinion. He has some nice track cars and is in the process of designing his own track car.

at stock ride height it should help quite a bit by limiting roll, and the car should stay fairly neutral unless you push it into oversteer. turn-in should be improved noticeably, and there should be less of the 'steer-roll-settle-turn' thing that the stock suspension does.

at lowered ride height it might further help turn-in (which is already better on a lowered car) but can reduce overall grip unless you set up camber to match.

all this of course depends on how stiff the bar is, what tires you're running, etc...
from my limited experience sway bars don't help that much over stock, and since you already have a stock one, i think the change would be hard to notice much
Old 04-22-2003, 01:00 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

We had this discussion too. My friend who has a stock WRX with 225/45x16" Hoosiers, Koni Yellows, and a HUGE front sway bar. THe car used to understeer BAD, but now the front end has more traction and the car rotates beautifully. And one guy who we all trust mentioned that a BIG front sway bar OR a larger REAR sway bar will make a car rotate due to slip angles and one section having more traction than the other.

Made sense to me.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:07 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by thewretchedbeaver
from my limited experience sway bars don't help that much over stock, and since you already have a stock one, i think the change would be hard to notice much

but since the cars chassis is tuned for more understeer, the larger front makes sense to me that it would decrease bodyroll and plant the front tires better.

this is what the M coupe gurus are telling me.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 04-22-2003, 01:10 PM
DakarM

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
We had this discussion too. My friend who has a stock WRX with 225/45x16" Hoosiers, Koni Yellows, and a HUGE front sway bar. THe car used to understeer BAD, but now the front end has more traction and the car rotates beautifully. And one guy who we all trust mentioned that a BIG front sway bar OR a larger REAR sway bar will make a car rotate due to slip angles and one section having more traction than the other.

Made sense to me.

so larger front bar makes sense right? to reduce understeer...

of course my suspension is stock right now. and the guru did suggest that it will benefit more with stock ride height and stock suspension.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 04-22-2003, 06:08 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

The big misconception is that you need a HUGE LARGE rear sway bar to get the car to rotate. But that is not totally true. For stock classes everyone I know who runs at National levels runs a LARGE front sway bar because it's legal for the class. So a larger front sway bar on a stock car will get the front tires to BITE better hence making the rear less sticky.