Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Falken Azenis tire pressure for a CRX

Old 04-13-2003, 10:46 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Falken Azenis tire pressure for a CRX

Ok, I'm just curious for the most part. I finally found a tire pressure that works well for the way I drive, and I think it's cool just how many different combinations of tire pressure, driving style, and car mods there are

I run my Azenis at 38 PSI front, 33 PSI rear. For me, the car (91 CRX, stock except for brake upgrades and lowered 1 inch) feels pretty stable, doesn't slide nearly at all (at least not till the tires get all hot and melty).

One guy who also runs a CRX swears by running his Azenis at 32 front, 28 rear. Another, who races an 87 civic, swears that 43 front, 35 rear is perfect (same tires). Oh well...hehe.

Anyway, for those who run on sticky street tires when they autocross, what pressure do you run, and what kinda tires are they?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:25 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Falken Azenis tire pressure for a CRX

Originally posted by AwwsChwA
Ok, I'm just curious for the most part. I finally found a tire pressure that works well for the way I drive, and I think it's cool just how many different combinations of tire pressure, driving style, and car mods there are

I run my Azenis at 38 PSI front, 33 PSI rear. For me, the car (91 CRX, stock except for brake upgrades and lowered 1 inch) feels pretty stable, doesn't slide nearly at all (at least not till the tires get all hot and melty).

One guy who also runs a CRX swears by running his Azenis at 32 front, 28 rear. Another, who races an 87 civic, swears that 43 front, 35 rear is perfect (same tires). Oh well...hehe.

Anyway, for those who run on sticky street tires when they autocross, what pressure do you run, and what kinda tires are they?
Well first it depends on the lot surface. I have found that grippier lots I need more air since grippier lots make the tire roll over more (more friction=more grip). So at one lot I run 41f/43r. At the less grippier lots (cured asphalt - approximately 5-7 years old or more) I use 39f/41r.

But other things come into play like weight of your car - lighter car needs less air, heavier car needs more air, camber, toe, and how wide a tire on the wheel you are using. Wide tire on a narrow rim, needs less air.

But figuring you have a CRX which is 400-500lbs lighter than my 2000 Civic Si I would guess you should start with 35f/33r. The best way to know is to use a tire temperature gauge or a pyrometer.