Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

putting on lower rear strut bar?

Old 04-11-2003, 01:27 PM
97Civic123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting on lower rear strut bar?

I wanted to put on a dc sports lower rear strut bar on my 97 civic dx hatch. is there anything i need to know before i begin?
Old 04-12-2003, 02:22 PM
b00gers

lower tie bar? the bar that connects both of the lower control ams together?

its a very basic bolt on. but its pretty time comsuming if you are doing it yourself. removing the LCA bolt, then lining everything back together will be the hardest part.

imnot familiar with the hatches setup, so imma let someone else take a go at it.

its mostly taking out other LCA bolts, putting on the bar, then putting the bolt back in.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:31 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Will's right. Super easy. Here are some modified directions that I posted a while back in this post:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...&threadid=7273
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by OSGP

1. Being a near total mechanical handicap, is it easy to install? Is it a DIY project or have to have a pro do it? Do I need to jack up the car?

2. Does it come with installation instruction?

3. Any tip or precaution for installation?

4. What type of tool do we need?

5. Approx time for installtion?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. It is easy to install. You can do it yourself. You need to jack the rear of the car up high enough to put jackstands under the car. Make sure to use wheel chocks up front. You don't need to remove the wheels. You basically remove the LCA pivot bolts, put the bar in place, then reinstall the LCA pivot bolts.

2. ...most don't come with installation instructions.

3. You might find it helpful to install at least one end piece first and then estimate the proper length before tightening everything down.

4. Ratchet; 14mm socket; torque wrench; jack with enough lift to get the car on jackstands; jackstands.

5. 30min. Since you're admitting to not being a super mechanic (at least you're honest), give yourself at least a couple hours just to be on the safe side. I honestly think you'll be done in no time as long as nothing goes wrong.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Just out of curiosity, but can this install be done by driving the car backwards onto ramps? I know this may sound like a silly question, but basically I'm asking could this be done even if the wheels are still on the ground?
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally Posted by randomtask77
Just out of curiosity, but can this install be done by driving the car backwards onto ramps? I know this may sound like a silly question, but basically I'm asking could this be done even if the wheels are still on the ground?
Old thread!

Unfortunately, you probably can't do this with the wheels on ramps. The bolts you're removing are the ones for the lower control arms. With the wheels on the ground or on ramps, they will still be under some kind of load. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:01 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally Posted by agent87
Old thread!

Unfortunately, you probably can't do this with the wheels on ramps. The bolts you're removing are the ones for the lower control arms. With the wheels on the ground or on ramps, they will still be under some kind of load. Hope this helps.
Okay, thanks. It was either ramps, or we have a local muffler shop that has an underground drive up thing. It's hard to explain, but it's like an oil changing place where you could go downstairs and have access to the bottom of your vehicle. I was just thinking of going there, but wanted to make sure if the wheels actually had to be off the ground or not.