Notices

TSX Test Drive vs Accord

Old 04-11-2003, 05:12 AM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSX Test Drive vs Accord

At this point I have test driven the Accord 4/6cyl Auto (sedans) and the TSX auto. All were loaded sans Navi.

Impressions:

Visually:

Accords: The pictures don't do this car justice, but the exteriors still leave a lot to be desired when you get to the bloated rump. A person could grow to live with this car's looks given the rest of the package. The oversized bodies do leave you wanting to slap on some 18's, but nothing is gonna look right on this car. It's just doesn't look too friendly to be spruced up.

The interior of the Accord is just about everything that the pictures make you think, except one thing. The leather on the showroom model has already started to look like it was 50K miles old despite never being driven. There is room in every direction. The seats don't really hug you. The dash layout is intuitive. Its like every Honda, I've driven is somehow manifested in this dash. The switch gear feels upscale and like it should last quite awhile. The trunk is huge. The view from behind the steering wheel is excellent as is the general greenhouse. Front and rear there is plenty of room. Stereo was good, but no stability at larger volumes.

TSX: I actually like the car better in person. It looks large, but at the same time has a certain tightness to it. The gaps/seams are consistent and tight (i didn't have a micrometer). I wasn't too happy with having the signal repeater on the mirror, but its minimally garish. Impressive thing I noticed that I had never noticed in the TLS, when you open the door, there is something so Germanly solid about the way it feels and solid about the way it thunks shut. My biggest gripe? The exhaust tips are not rolled. They are sharp edged and look unfinished. I also felt the opening to the trunk felt narrow with a high lift point.

The interior of the quartz interior (similar to ebony, the parchment interior has wood trim) isn't a barrage of switches and wood or chrome slathered every where. There is a tasteful rib of brushed chrome/aluminum running across the dash. It doesn't have the cheap painted look or feel of the trim on the Nissans. I plop my 5'10" 200lb frame into the seat and just smile. (far) Short of an aftermarket Recaro this is one of the more comfortable seats I've sat in. Its hugs you just so, but doesn't constrict you. The heated seats help too. I noticed that when you get in, there doesn't appear to be much headroom with the moonroof, its there but not much. Legroom in the front is generous, but in the rear you pray you're not going much further than an hour or so (not bad, not great) The perforated leather seems to be of a higher quality than that used in the Accord (time will tell) . The stereo is solid, easy to use, but lacks thump. WHY ISN"T THERE POWER PASSENGER SEATS???!!!

Driving:

4cyl accord: Wow, this is a 4 cyl? Quiet, smooth, silky shifts. SLow to downshift, but you aren't really lacking in power that you necessarily need to... Eager to rev, and it sounds alright from the inside. Its not a screaming monster, but it lets you feel like your driving. The steering is not over boosted. The turn in feels just about right, but this pig rolls. The ride is crisp (feels like a 5th gen with koni yellows (dialed 1/2way) and neuspeed sports. (not bad) Brakes felt good for a change. It felt like the first time i drove my 5th gen with fresh brake fluid, stainless lines and recently broken in pads: solid pedal feel, solid stopping power. The tires blow, squealing at every lil thing.

6cyl: Finally a honda with balls! Coming from the four there is definitely an excess of power here (i lie) for just getting groceries. The tranny was tad rougher (still reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaallllllyyyyyy smooth) than the 4cyl. The rest is as above.

TSX: Feels like the Accord 4 cyl but faster in acceleration. Interestin to cruise at 60 mph and only turn <2000 rpm. The tranny is ready to downshift and happy to be redlined. Silky smooth shifts. Sporthift is a nice perk, but din't really add to my driving experience. Fortunately I had an enthusiastic salesman with me....this thing has great cornering, stays flat and I din't get the VSA to come on. So this leads me to believe there is more to be extracted. Very neutral, no initial understeer. You feel engaged when youre driving this car and you just wanna go wail on it. The ride is up there with 3 series, crisp but never annoying. Surprisingly, these michelins weren't as bad the others I have driven in the past, wait till the rain. Braking is just right, but I could always use more.

If youre on a budget get the 4cyl accord. I say if you want horsepower buy the V6 accord. (you don't need premium gas either) If you want a car that you don't have to do anything to enjoy, get the TSX. Its in my opinion a better value. You get the Acura badge and definitely superior cutomer service.

BTW: The TSX auto gets better mileage than the 6spd on the highway 32 vs 29. The dealer is selling it at sticker, he was willing to cut a deal on accessories like the nice looking kit and wheels. The particular dealer I went to offered scheduled oil changes for life at $190. Dealers are getting about 6 cars/month and wait times on the east coast can be as long as 6-8 weeks.
The car uses cheaper and more readily available 5W30.

sorry for so long,

noel

Thanks to Steve Calderone of south shore Honda and Rich McCormick of Valley Stream Acura.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:48 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Noel, good report :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2003, 06:00 PM
99AccordCoupe

Well said. The TSX is something I'm looking at, but the power just isn't there. I can't jump into that from a car that has some nice low end grunt to something that I need to rev. Not my style. That's why I'm opting for the V6 Accord Coupe, hopefully 6 speed. I didn't want another coupe, because it's not much different inside than my current ride. It still feels like my car inside, but when I turned the key and drove off I knew this was it. There's not a better value out there than a V6 Accord. It's faster than most cars out there costing thousands more and runs on regular gas. I need power, I could care less about a better sound system or HID's. All that I'll upgrade to later.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:28 PM
JNGold

This is the thread I have been looking for! The TSX has been (and still is) the "dark-horse" choice for my next car to replace my current '01 CL-S lease (my first choice is the Accord Cpe EX).

I'm with 99 on the performance issue. I don't drive a stick (I live in NYC) and have been used to the powerful 6 cyl cars (3000GT SL, CL-S) having the smooth distribution of power from start to high-end.

Like I said, I am concerned with the performance of the 4cyl TSX. Not so much whether it is "quick" but how powerful it is. I don't want to be yelling at the car to "giddy-up" when I'm trying to merge onto the highway running my AC at full blast during the summer months or need that extra "umph" when doing 60-70mph and need to pass the guy next to me that's going faster.

Vtec,

The seats on the Coupe EX are very similar to my CL-S (which is a good thing). They have good lumbar support and hold you firmly in place - not to mention comfortable to. As for the leather, I have to agree, the Honda leather seems a bit on the "cheaper" side when compared to my Acura but not as bad as something like the Nissan Altima.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:35 AM
vdo_game_junkie

Good review we share some of the same views. I test drove the TSX this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I currently have a 93 Legend and was thinking of getting the TL. But after driving the TSX I'm not so sure.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:45 PM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

Personal feeling on TL's/TLS at present. Unless you're getting bargain basement prices (26K/29k respectively), you might as well get the newer hipper TSX and not drive last years model (tl).

But you really can't go toooo wrong with a TL.

noel
Old 04-15-2003, 10:39 AM
murraya

Default TSX vs Accord I4 5 spd

The TSX runs the same I4 I-Vtech 2.4 litre engine as the '03 Honda Accord....how does Acura get 40 extra ponies out of this motor? I would like to modify my new Accord and need advice...PLEASE!!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 05:58 AM
vtecinside
Cracker Quack!

easiest answer motor swap.

The TSX uses both higher compression and VTEC on both the intake and exhaust cams.

The TSX needs premium fuel the Accord does not. (result of higher CR)

The accord does not have exhaust side VTEC. There fore you need to swap with a TSX or a Euro market 7th gen Accord. or you can stroke a RSX-S/RSX-R/CTR motor to 2.4L and get similar or better results.

noel
Old 04-16-2003, 11:39 AM
murraya

noel,
I guess it's not something as simple as changing the ECU, four fuel injectors and some sensors?....Too bad....I'd really like a few extra horses!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:19 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: TSX vs Accord I4 5 spd

Originally posted by murraya
The TSX runs the same I4 I-Vtech 2.4 litre engine as the '03 Honda Accord....how does Acura get 40 extra ponies out of this motor? I would like to modify my new Accord and need advice...PLEASE!!!!
First you need to learn how to spell VTEC and understand what it means. Second you'll have to spend more money than it's worth on compression changes, different valves, etc etc etc.