Notices

Tune-up questions.................

Old 04-10-2003, 07:36 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune-up questions.................

I have a 5th gen Accord, it idles kinda rough at times, others it just purrs It also isn't doing too hot on gas economy, im lucky to get 300 out of it on a full tank, and that's taking it easy trying to make the gas last as long as possible. I was planning on doing a tune up including, plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, oil filter/change, injector cleaner and distributor cap. Questions are:

If I replace the dist cap, will I have to do the timing?

Is it a pain in the ass to do the fuel filter? I did mine on my 4th gen sedan and it wasn't a problem.

Im hoping Tognotti's has some NGK plug wires, im not paying more than $45 for em. I know I can get em for $36 on GBC, but i'd have to pay shipping and wait for them to get here, I need to do this this weekend. I plan on using NGK platinum v-groove plugs fyi.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:47 PM
hype8912
Dr. Klaw

I don't know how picky you are about your plugs but I just tried the bosch platnium 4's and the seem to run a lot nicer the the 2 prongs. Even idles about 100 rpms lower. If your getting that bad of milage you might want to check the air filter in the process. I just got my 4th gen 2 weeks ago and haven't tried any of the other stuff for tune ups other than a new distributor and cap. I don't know about the timing since I had a shop do it, but I don't think you should. I've had pretty good luck with accel and a few other performace brands in the past. I don't really care for using NGK or Denso.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

i went to Honda to buy new wires.... and they wouldnt sell them to me because they told me its a waste..... until they start misfiring, dont buy them, is what they told me.... Ive done ALL maintenance really to my car.... and i still get about 250 miles/tank all city.... and ive tried driving like a granny, and it didnt help at all.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:06 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by Samson
i went to Honda to buy new wires.... and they wouldnt sell them to me because they told me its a waste..... until they start misfiring, dont buy them, is what they told me.... Ive done ALL maintenance really to my car.... and i still get about 250 miles/tank all city.... and ive tried driving like a granny, and it didnt help at all.
it feels like it may be misfiring when idling, feels like it misses from time to time. I may need a new air filter too, I have CAI but it's not a K&N so it may be time for replacement. :rofl: they wouldn't sell them to you? hmm, maybe thats just how it is huh? I just expected it to get at least 300 miles city driving. The most I got is 394 on a full tank, but that was like 80% highway driving.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:11 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by hype8912
I don't know how picky you are about your plugs but I just tried the bosch platnium 4's and the seem to run a lot nicer the the 2 prongs. Even idles about 100 rpms lower. If your getting that bad of milage you might want to check the air filter in the process. I just got my 4th gen 2 weeks ago and haven't tried any of the other stuff for tune ups other than a new distributor and cap. I don't know about the timing since I had a shop do it, but I don't think you should. I've had pretty good luck with accel and a few other performace brands in the past. I don't really care for using NGK or Denso.
No way in hell am I paying that much for plugs, hell no. NGK platinum v-groove plugs will be just fine, I may go w/hotter plug now that I've got I/H/E.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:23 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

or would I be better served going w/colder plug? I need some input on the dist cap question, will changing the dist cap mess up my timing?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:10 AM
aero3685

NO, changing the Dist. Cap will not mess up your timing. that only comes into play when changing the distributer. Unless the bolts are not tightened, then you could mess it up...which im sure that isnt like that. I am pretty sure that the fuel filter is in the same place as 4th gen, so not too hard.

YOu could also get some Seafoam Cleaner for your Throttle Body. Its easiest found @ NAPA. Its in a tin can, and the can is white. its called deep clean or something. You just take this, and with one of the vacuum hoses that you took off when you put in the CAI, just put the hose back on, and you get the car up to normal temps, and just suck a little through the hose(cuttin the tip of the hose is the easiest way to do this, like @ 45 deg. angle. ) And you should suck up about 1/3 of the bottle. then just put the hose all the way in, and it will stall out. wait for at least 5 min. to let it soak in. Start it back up, and it may take a couple trys, and just let it sit and smoke all the shit out the exgaust. make sure you are outside when you do this, it will smoke for a while.

I did this on my 4g, and it ran ALOT smoother
Old 04-12-2003, 11:43 PM
99accord
www.poksquid.com

never heard of it... sounds kinda stupid to try... (sorry) are you sure something like that won't hurt your engine?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:02 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by 99accord
never heard of it... sounds kinda stupid to try... (sorry) are you sure something like that won't hurt your engine?
I heard of it, and like he said, it's actually good for the car. The best way to clean your injectors thats for sure! Only thing is, I didn't have to remove any vacuum tubes to install my CAI
Old 04-13-2003, 09:59 AM
teamlegacy

You have to go through the vaccum line for your PCV valve on your valve cover. When I did my tuneup I did NGK Platinum V-grooves, OE spec plug wires, distrubtor cap AND rotor (the rotor was causing me to misfire and foxx up my gas mileage), air filter, fuel filter (**** that thing, that was so gay to install, luckily I was on a lift, but it was still a bitch. Took about an hour). I did an oil change, a 3 stage engine treatment (throttle body/injection system cleaner, cumbustion chamber cleaner and fuel additive). I also replaced the PCV valve which COULD kill your gas mileage. So I reccomend you do these.

1. PCV Valve
2. Air filter and fuel filter
3. Distributor cap AND rotor
4. Plugs AND wires (to be safe)
5. 3 stage treatment
6. Oil change (duh)