Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Door Panel Swapping

Old 04-10-2003, 05:10 PM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel Swapping

ok i have 96 hatch dx and 99 ex all power.

i want to swap the power door panels and guts into my dx doors, and vice versa, cuz i dont want to have to paint both sets of doors.

is it easy. please tell me any info or exp u have in this idea.

ps i have a freind that can make the wiring harness to hook it up to have power all i got to do is do the swap. help please
Old 04-11-2003, 01:22 PM
97Civic123

i'm in the same boat, but right now i have si door sitting in my garage, and i'm not sure if it's easier to a door swap, or just change the internals. the color of the doors a different.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:51 AM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

yea im in the same boat. i dont want to repaint the doors so im just switching the internals of a the doors to save money. i heard its easy to switch. but my freind told me the locks are not worth switching he said just get an alarm and have them put acuators on the locks. so all we have to do is switch the power windows, panels, mirrors, and the tweeter. and just get locks put on at the car stero store. how do we wire it though?
Old 04-23-2003, 10:35 PM
penhtaing

I did the swap on my 99 civic hatch (converted from 99 civic si doors) You should use the factory actuators for the door locks. They are not as hard as they seem and will not break down like aftermarket ones (especially when you manually lock or unlock the door, the factory actuator will work a lot better). With the swap however, you're both better off swapping the parts, that way, you don't have to change the master cylinder in the door jambs and repaint the door. On top of that, the swap bolts right onto your door. Wiring however, is quite difficult. It took me all day because I had to run cables back and forth across the car. I would recommend that you have a car audio shop do the wiring if you're not experienced with electrical parts on your car. Also, you would need some heavy duty cables for the power line, at least 10 guage when using power cables.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:15 AM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

Yea i completed the swap, works perfect. I had a buddy of mine make me a wiring harness that plugs in directly to the door wiring harness so everything works. locks, windows, speakers, mirrors, and tweeters. Perfect. Total cost 25 bucks for wire, tape, connectors, and a 18 rack of mgd for my buddy to make the harness. Once you get into it, its pretty easy, lot cheaper than getting power doors, and or reapainting them.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:22 PM
GreyFixer

So do DX models come with a place to "plug in" the door panels or do you have to run all new wires from scratch? I noticed that my car has fuses for power windows and locks so I was wondering if it had the rest of the wiring in the dash. It would make sense because the dash is the same for power and non-power Civics.
Old 05-05-2003, 08:23 AM
JDM-B18C-2KHB

yes i just finished my swap last week. everything is pre drilled. all the holes for the clips/bolts are there. the swap was very easy. but yes have someone do your wiring. what i did was went to a junk yard and pulled out the block clips that go in between your door jams, for the door wiring and made my own, then wrapped it in wire loom. looks really proffessional. good luck