Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

σ6

Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 AM
Tark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default σ6

Does anyone here have the cetification? I've been seeing more and more of a demand for it and i was wondering what the training was like.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:23 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

lolwut?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:26 AM
JGordon

"Six Sigma is a business management strategy originally developed by Motorola, USA in 1981.[1] As of 2010[update], it enjoys widespread application in many sectors of industry, although its application is not without controversy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Sigma

And no, I don't have the certification.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:27 AM
Red X
x pǝɹ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I worked at Xerox a bunch of people were at different levels of the certification. Looks like a bunch of BS. It definitely didn't seem to make the people any smarter.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:42 AM
H-Accord-22
Duh

We implemented some process here at my company and I was involved in. But not any official certification (at least not me).
Old 06-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by Red X
When I worked at Xerox a bunch of people were at different levels of the certification. Looks like a bunch of BS. It definitely didn't seem to make the people any smarter.
I agree... it's probably BS and it certainly doesn't make you any smarter. But it looks like more companies are giving an importance to this. I'm not expecting to learn much... but if it can improve my career opportunity why not right? It's free for me anywais.

But the process in manufacturing looks interesting.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Tark

[edit] DMAIC
The DMAIC project methodology has five phases:

Define the problem, the voice of the customer, and the project goals, specifically.
Measure key aspects of the current process and collect relevant data.
Analyze the data to investigate and verify cause-and-effect relationships. Determine what the relationships are, and attempt to ensure that all factors have been considered. Seek out root cause of the defect under investigation.
Improve or optimize the current process based upon data analysis using techniques such as design of experiments, poka yoke or mistake proofing, and standard work to create a new, future state process. Set up pilot runs to establish process capability.
Control the future state process to ensure that any deviations from target are corrected before they result in defects. Control systems are implemented such as statistical process control, production boards, and visual workplaces and the process is continuously monitored.
Seriously... who doesn't know how to manage a project or how to problem solve
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 AM
JGordon

Originally Posted by Tark
I agree... it's probably BS and it certainly doesn't make you any smarter. But it looks like more companies are giving an importance to this. I'm not expecting to learn much... but if it can improve my career opportunity why not right? It's free for me anywais.
If it's free and you have the time (or if it's on work time, even better), I say go for it. I take every training opportunity my company offers me -- you never know when it will come in handy. Even if you don't really learn anything, being able to put that type of thing on your resume shows a willingness to continue to learn and a drive to succeed. And if one of those certifications makes the difference between landing your dream job and staying where you are...
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Tark

Originally Posted by JGordon
If it's free and you have the time (or if it's on work time, even better), I say go for it. I take every training opportunity my company offers me -- you never know when it will come in handy. Even if you don't really learn anything, being able to put that type of thing on your resume shows a willingness to continue to learn and a drive to succeed. And if one of those certifications makes the difference between landing your dream job and staying where you are...
That’s what I’m thinking... My employer gives me 1500$ allowance for continue education/training. It would be on my free time but that's not a problem I have too much free time anyway.

I was looking into this certification cause it looks like it's the most popular. Kaisen, was another choice but Sigma Six still looks like it's more popular.