Notices

87 Honda Accord stalls after 10 miles

Old 04-04-2003, 10:36 AM
cosmos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Honda Accord stalls after 10 miles

I just bought the car with a bad head gasket, and now everything is fixed. But the car wants to stall after about ten miles of driving when i come to stop. It is an automatic, lsi 87 honda accord. I tried adjusting the valves and set my idle way hight o compensate the rough idle when i come to complete stop. I am pretty sure the timing belt is line correctly.

What do i check for? Any sensor problems that are typical on these cars that go out preventing from running.

thanks for your help

Martin
Old 04-04-2003, 11:07 AM
twinkle0330

Fuel filter, pump, and the lines. Same thing happened to my boy. It was his fuel pump.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:19 AM
cosmos

But when i start it back up it will run with my foot on the gas. To keep the car running i adjusted the throttle linkage tighter to keep the rpms up so it won't stall but it is idling about 1500 rpm now to stay ruinning. If the fuel pump was out then the car would not run at all.

Thanks
Martin
Old 04-07-2003, 09:02 AM
cwa107

Sounds like you have potential fuel problems covered. I would move onto spark. What kind of condition are your...

- Wires
- Plugs
- Dist. cap
- Rotor
- Ignition coil

...in?

One other thought... my wife had an '89 Mustang (2.3L) a long time ago that did the same thing. A bad mechanic replaced the entire ignition system as well as the radiator and battery terminals (we were on vacation and dropped it off at a shop in Virginia Beach on the recommendation of a hotel clerk). Anyway, we made it half-way back home and the car started doing it again. Since she had gotten the car, the temp gauge never moved, so we assumed it was broken. So when we discovered the car had a bad thermostat, needless to say, we were more than a bit surprised. Moral of the story - double check that thermostat even if your temp gauge reports normal.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:34 AM
cosmos

I did not check the ignition components but they all seemed good and i have already replaced the spark plugs.
The car runs fine but it seem to run rough at a lower idle and later starts to die out when u come to a stop in gear. If i shifted it to nuetral during the incident it continues to run rough, but it stays running.
But i will check my ign components again

Thanks
martin
Old 04-07-2003, 11:47 AM
95AccordEXR

fuel injection relay?
Old 04-07-2003, 06:48 PM
cwa107

Originally posted by 95AccordEXR
fuel injection relay?
Hmmm... in my experience, if the fuel injection relay were shot, it would be all or nothing.

My guess is that when the car heats up, something in the ignitions system gets annoyed. Could be the coil or cap/rotor. The cap and rotor are cheap enough and easy to replace - might as well...