Notices

91 honda accord wont crank

Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 PM
armandog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 honda accord wont crank

My 91 Honda accord manual transmission wont crank after I replace the starter. Changed the ignition switch. Checked the neutral switch. I cant find the starter cut relay is????. I don't know if that would be the problem, Cause I check everything else. I even started the car manually. I gave power to the starter solenoid and car started right away. I need to know where the starter cut relay is?? help!!!

Last edited by armandog; 06-21-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 AM
armandog

Originally Posted by armandog
My 91 Honda accord manual transmission wont crank after I replace the starter. Changed the ignition switch. Checked the neutral switch. I cant find the starter cut relay is????. I don't know if that would be the problem, Cause I check everything else. I even started the car manually. I gave power to the starter solenoid and car started right away. I need to know where the starter cut relay is?? help!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:56 PM
daanno

Default possible cause

you don't mention anymore symptoms than "won't crank" so it'll be hard to troubleshoot but I'll give it a try. Does "won't crank" mean that it does nothing?... No power, Lights, horn, dome light... that would be a power issue. I'd likely start at the NEG battery cable. I've seen them corrode inside the insulation and you'll never see it. Enough "connection" exists to pass a continuity test but not enough to pass current.
If, when you turn the key to start, the engines turns over but refuses to catch then I would start at the main relay. It lives above drivers side kick panel above the fuse box. It is not uncommon for the solder contacts to break and on hot days it causes the car to not start. It is more difficult to remove the darn thing than it is to repair it. If you are handy with a soldering iron then just hit all the contacts with some fresh solder and reinstall. I have no clue what the retail cost is, or if it is strictly a dealer part. I repaired mine about 6 years ago. I can't remember exactly what it looks like but I do remember that it is contained in a black plastic box and I think it has a wire harness (doesn't plug into the main panel). I'll pull out the shop manual in the morning and take a look and let you know.
Other ideas (these are worst case ideas)
-Fuel pump
-There was a recall on the '90 and '91 distributors... might be an issue
-Try putting a jumper (paper clip) in the connector (wire harness) for the clutch switch. If the switch is acting up then this trick will bypass the problem. Be careful though, with the switch bypassed the car can start in gear without having the clutch pushed in.

just a few ideas.
I'll look through the "big book of knowledge" for few more ideas.

Dan
Old 06-23-2010, 08:00 PM
daanno

Default here are some pics

I finally got around to taking a few pics. They are not great but they "paint the picture". One shows what the relay looks like with an attached schematic and the other show the approximate location.

I hope this helps.
Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
relay schem & pic.jpg (110.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
main relay location.jpg (187.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 AM
cruzalekz

remember when you applied b+ when you manually started the car underhood?

its called the s terminal, what you can do is test that wire for voltage when you try to start the car from the driver side, if it has voltage, maybe your flywheel tooth is worn out, if it does not, then you will need to back track to the relay, the clutch switch, and the brushes in the lock cylinder where you put your keys in.