Notices

Powdercoating???

Old 04-03-2003, 06:53 AM
nd4speedm1
Currently Riding his BIKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating???

does anyone know any websites where u can send stuff to get powdercoated....right now im thinking about getting a set of the 5th gen 7 spokes and getting them powder coated gunmetal

Old 04-03-2003, 06:55 AM
decibel_dj

hmmm thats expensive in most cases its cheaper to buy the rim powercoated than powercoat ur own rim
Old 04-03-2003, 06:58 AM
nd4speedm1

where can i buy powdercoating stuff? DIY maybe?? and even if it pricey do u know any websites...also would just plain old painting be the same or do u think that would come out shitty? and dont u need to bake the stuff for it to stay better.....dont think mom would like me bakeing a rim in the oven....HER: "whats for dinner doesnt smell nice?" ME: "ummmm rim" haha dont think would go over that great
Old 04-03-2003, 07:17 AM
JERZY-STYLZ

Well at a Strauss Discount Auto store [auto store chain available in only New Jersey and New York Metro area] They sell a Spray Paint....made for Rims....comes in only three colors, WHITE, SILVER, GUNMETAL, I dont know how well it works or what is needed to prep the rims and I dont know anyone who has tried it.

I dont know if AutoZone or Pep Boys sells these....its worth a check.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:21 AM
nd4speedm1

sweet thanks....my sister lives in new jersey so maybe if i dont find anything up here ill check when i go to see her.....haha all i gotta do is get the rims now if anyone is selling 5th gen 7 please PM me or talk to me on aim or something
Old 04-03-2003, 07:22 AM
decibel_dj

with my old rims i wanted to powercoat it and the price i got per rim was thru the roof since it has to be magnatized, dipped, sprayed ova and baked. its a huge process in powercoating a rim. i went for the lesser option which was to hve my rims sprayed which i loved and thinking about doing again with the rims i have now instead of getting new ones. i paid $50 a rim but most places are $40 a rim. i paid more cuz u wanted the giavanna (sp?) look since i saw a set of 17's with a polished lip, black spokes w/ gold chips in it so i had my rims sprayed just like it b4 i sold them and got the ones i have now (which i might do the same too)
Old 04-03-2003, 07:25 AM
nd4speedm1

what does it mean to get them sprayed??? i knew about powdercoating and stuff....is it like a spray paint or is there more to it....haha for 40-50 bucks there better be more hehe...thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 07:25 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

powder coating is a much more durable finish than what you can do with a spraycan plus you do the whole wheel. i never heard of a DIY powder coating kit.

i have been looking into it myself. i actually have some sample colors right now. the cost is shaping up like:

$25 per wheel to powder coat

$25 for 3lbs of powder (if he has it in stock it's free)

$10-20 per wheel for sandblasting (depending how intricate they are) 94-95 EX wheels should be $10-12.

i have also been quoted from another place $250 for blasting and coating. prices do vary and quality can differ. the shop i'm going to is small the guys doing the work are also the owners so i'm sure they'll do a good job.

also, some places may not even want to deal with you cause usually you pust buy powder in 55lbs boxes. luckily this guy said he can get me the minimum which is 3lbs. so i'll have enough leftover to do another set of rims atleart if someone wants to buy it.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:30 AM
nd4speedm1

its a more durable finish but how much better does it look? im guessing/hoping alot better...if it looks the same then whatever ill go with the DIY spray can stuff
Old 04-03-2003, 07:36 AM
nd4speedm1

sleeper was that 250 for powdercoating? casue hell ill drive up to new hampshire if i can get it that cheap?? haha is that cheap?? from the way deciple described it i think so

do u think gunmetal would look good on a red accord?
ive seen the 7 spokes in gunmetal before they actually look pretty good....now all i gotta do is fine some