Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.

Future Hondas/Acuras including Acura TSX, Honda Latitude and Accord, etc.

Old 06-27-2002, 10:14 AM
LuckyDog
AccordPower24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hondas: Accord, Latitude, Acura TSX and Pilot Question

Hello... this is the reincarnated AccordPower24. With no Accord and no longer being 24... I figured it was time for a name change (and MDXPower27 sounded ghey ).

I was checking out the trim levels are College Hills Honda for the new Accord. It appears there is no LX ABS trim this time around... so I'm assuming its safe to say the new Accord will have standard ABS (would it be cost efficient to engineer non ABS brakes for the DX when every other model has them?). Also, it appears everything but DX and LX I4 have Side SRS this time around.

Now... onto the other stuff. On The Car Connection forums there is this one source who goes by the name AH-HA. AH-HA seems very well informed and as long I've been visiting TCC, everything he's said has come true.

AH-HA is reporting that we will see two new models from Honda-Acura soon. They are the Honda Latitude and Acura TSX.

Of the Latitude, AH-HA says "Honda will launch a new model by next summer, the Latitude. The 2004 Latitude is basically a U.S. version of the compact 7-passenger Stream MPV. It will be aimed at young families looking for a versatile vehicle and as a samller, cheaper alternative to the Odyssey minivan."
It sounds like Honda will give the PT Cruiser some competiton. Strange how six years ago Honda sold a vehicle like this and it was a total flop, now they're the new market craze. I remember thinking it would be a good idea to bring this over when they first came out with the Stream.

Of the TSX, AH-HA says "Next spring, Acura will launch the all-new TSX sport sedan. Based on the upcoming JDM Accord, the TSX will be positioned between the RSX and TL with an estimated price between $24,000 and $28,000. Look for a near production concept at the 2003 NAIAS in Janaury."
Now, this was a rumor we had all heard and I believed about 75%... but now I totally believe it. The TSX name sounds much better than IUD (wasn't that the rumored one?)... but it sounds kinda close to TL. Since Japan (and Europe?) will be getting a wagon version of the new Accord, I wonder if that will come too? It appears Acura is reviewing it's naming strategy. Maybe all sport oriented cars are _SX and luxury oriented cars are #.#_L (3.2TL, 3.5RL). Or maybe all cars are moving to _SX and trucks to _DX (RDX, MDX). Then I think this new car should be VSX and the TL could gradually move to TSX. This makes the wait til NAIAS even more unbearable.

Now... the Pilot question. I was looking at the Pilot section of the Honda site (which I must say is nicer than Honda's bland, but very functional website). The Pilot is available with Fern Interior on certain models. Has anyone seen this? Is this a green color? The Mountaineer is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm considering the Pilot (I can get a loaded Pilot with DVD for less than my loaded MDX... ). Oh well.

By the way... it's good to be back.

Spy Pics of the Euro Accord which will become the TSX

Edit: Added in pictures so they wouldn't get lost in the mix

Last edited by jaje; 07-07-2002 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:35 AM
kazi
Toyota Racing = Cheaters

Interesting about this AH-HA guy. Over the Saturn board there's a guy that goes by the same name that has been impressively accurate with his future automobile news about GM.

BTW, I like the Pilot, but I wish it had the transmission shifter on the floor instead of the steering wheel column. And the lack of sunroof is a big :doh:.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:59 AM
yianni64

Both things he said were educated guesses on past rumors, but he might very well have the connection to know if they are true.

So, yeah, what makes him so credible? If he knows anything at all, he should know some 2003 Accord powertrain choices
Old 06-27-2002, 11:21 AM
Troopa-R

I think the Stream/Latitude guess would definately be possible. Honda's the new "big name" in minivans, and expanding down into MPV/Sienna territory wouldn't be a bad move. The only thing would be that Honda would probably need to outfit the Stream with sliding rear doors, because the USDM still doesn't seem to like hinged rear doors on their minivans.

As for the TSX, I'm lost. Is this gonna be our S2K based IS fighter? However, I do like this naming structure: _SX for the cars, _DX for the trucks. But it probably means the next TL and RL won't be "TSX" and "RSX".
Old 06-27-2002, 12:39 PM
integboi220

TSX sounds to be a realistic name for the future acura sports sedan. mix between TL and RSX. Touring Sport eXperiment? does anyone have pictures of the JDM accord since its gonna be based off that and is there a difference between the euro accord R and JDM accord?
Old 06-27-2002, 01:06 PM
yianni64

Originally posted by integboi220
TSX sounds to be a realistic name for the future acura sports sedan. mix between TL and RSX. Touring Sport eXperiment? does anyone have pictures of the JDM accord since its gonna be based off that and is there a difference between the euro accord R and JDM accord?
There used to be a difference between EDM and JDM but not anymore? I think.

TSX will come with what, a hi-power Inline-4 (~220hp) and then like a V6(~260hp) as the Type S option, maybe?
Old 06-27-2002, 01:32 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, AP24, I missed you. Damn glad to have you back bro :thumbup:

So on the Stream, I've been saying for years that we should import it...AW did a test of it and really liked it. Isn't it on the Civic platform?

The TSX baffles me. Sounds like a G20 in the making. So TSX becomes TS unless they keep the X like on RS-X to RSX, but they dropped it on the TL-X and CL-X. God damn this is confusing. I miss "Integra" and "Legend". There is a VERY VERY big market down low in the luxury segment, as witnessed by the TL selling 60k a year and the GS430 selling about 5k a year. Maybe they move the TL upscale to the 35k-40k segment and the TSX into the 28-32k segment? But the guy said it'd be 24k-28k...which leaves me to believe it'd be more than an RSX sedan, especially built off the JDM Accord chassis. Maybe a J30 with a sporty nature in a cheap luxury sedan? BUT THIS CUTS INTO ACCORD SALES...This is extremely confusing and hard to decipher. Maybe you could give us some links to some of Nostradamus' predictions? And welcome back bro :thumbup:
Old 06-27-2002, 01:41 PM
integboi220

how much do fully loaded accords go for now?? i dun think as high as 28000. and besides it said to be smaller than the accord so i dun think it will cut into the accord's sale much.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:50 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by integboi220
how much do fully loaded accords go for now?? i dun think as high as 28000. and besides it said to be smaller than the accord so i dun think it will cut into the accord's sale much.
www.honda.com would have saved you and me some time

An EX-V6 goes for about 24K, give or take
Old 06-27-2002, 02:02 PM
yianni64

Well, seems the the TSX will pick up where the Accord tops out, and then the TL takes up where the TSX tops out. This puts a sedan for every pocketbook pretty much, from civic to accord to tsx to tl to rl.

Quick Reply: Future Hondas/Acuras including Acura TSX, Honda Latitude and Accord, etc.