Notices

02'TLS on 4th transmission - what are my options?

Old 04-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Norcal_02_TLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02'TLS on 4th transmission - what are my options?

Hi, I am a brand new member and need your advise. I know of the extended warranty and issues with the TL-S transmissions. I am living this nightmare. Here is the history of my car. Purchased my 02' TL-S in Sept of 01'. Absolutely love the car! At about 17K miles I noticed that the car was not driving and shifting as smooth as before and my gas mileage started to plummet. I was previously getting 380 miles a tank and my car hit a low of 280 miles a tank.

I took it to our area dealer who diagnosed it with the TL transmission issue. New tranmission was ordered and installed. I received the car back a week later on a Friday. I drove it home and as I pulled into my neighborhood under deceleration the tranny make a wizzing and metal on metal noise. NOT GOOD! My husband immediately drove the car and we called the dealier. Bring it back they say. We promptly limped it back and they drove it - Uh, you will need to leave your car here, this tranny is gone. Duh! We talked about it and agreed that it sounded like the torque converter went.

Third transmission is installed and I receive the car back a week later.....fast forward less than 2,500 miles.......tranny number three is slipping horribly, gas mileage is shot again and car is under powered. Car is currently back at dealer for tranny number FOUR. The dealer is taking care of me but I need your advise. What are my options? I spoke to the Service Manager and he advised that I involve Acura Customer Care and get the District Rep. involved.

Is my car a lemmon? I do not drive this car hard, I do not shift it. I am very consistent with my service appointments. Should I contact a lawyer about the lemmon law?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 04-02-2003, 01:50 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, your transmission is a lemon...not your car. I don't know if this falls under the lemon law, you might want to do some research on your own.

Honda has diagnosed and fixed the transmission problem. All transmissions as of like last fall are fixed and will not show the symptoms of sudden downshifts and other things that you described. I would give your 4th transmission some time...1.6% of transmissions turned out to be faulty, you must have a mark on your forehead or something But hopefully the new transmissions that are being manufactured trully are fixed.

Chris
Old 04-02-2003, 01:58 PM
Norcal_02_TLS

Thanks for your feedback, the dealer is puzzled as they thought tranny #3 would be a good one since it was just installed at the end of January '03. Maybe I got one from the back of the warehouse that was left over from the fall. I truly hope tranny #4 is a good one. We have already contacted a lemmon law lawyer and he advises that if #4 fails that we pursue having the car bought back under the CA lemmon law. If tranny #4 fails it does qualify.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that #4 is the last tranny needed. I love my TL-S and bought it because I wanted a sports sedan. My husband and I drive a 425 rwhp (dyno proven) cobra replica on the autocross course on the weekends and I picked the TL-S because I needed some power and luxury for my everyday commute.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:33 AM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I think the dealership probably gave you a tranny that did not have the correct fix to it. So hopefully, the 4th tranny will be the correct one. Also, I think you are having a little bad luck too. Good luck either way, keep us posted as to how your TL-S is.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-03-2003, 03:46 AM
VTECTLtypeS

im on my 2nd tranny too and im goin in next week for a 3rd. i think its because acura uses refurbished transmissions instead of new ones.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Norcal_02_TLS

Is there anyway for an owner to require Acura to install a "new" tranny over a refurbed one?
Old 04-03-2003, 08:15 PM
VTECTLtypeS

i dont think so
Old 04-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Jkan2001
S2000 Pilot

wtf...are you guys dogging the crap out of your cars?

Our 01 auto has been fine after about 28K miles. I drive it pretty easy normally in full auto but i beat on it time to time gate shifting with VSA off and it's held up strong.

I believe if the same part fails on a new car 3 times then it's a lemon and u get a new car or your money back.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:16 AM
VTECTLtypeS

yea, the lemon is different within each state. i drive my car normal and one day i just gunned it cause this 03 accord wanted some.......next thing i know, it wont shift out of 2nd gear. i had to stop..turn the car off.....and then start it back up. im gettin the new tranny this monday.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:27 AM
Norcal_02_TLS

dogging? meaning driving it like a soccer mom or milk toast? Not me, I enjoy the power and performance of this car. However I do not beat the he!! out of it. I race our race car autocross at a regional and national level and I open track road race. I am not your average female driver. My dad is a master mechanic and I grew up working on cars and educated about them.

Dogging on it because there is a real issue with their transmissions? He!! YES! Why be quiet?