Notices

1998 honda civic air conditioner belt squealing...

Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 AM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 honda civic air conditioner belt squealing...

My honda civic air conditioner belt squeals occasionally when i turn my air conditioner on in my car.. I tried spraying wd 40 on the belt and pulley see if it would help but did not.. how much of a pain is it to replace this belt? I l ooked under the hood and I see alot of belts on the same pulley... I would just like some tips if other belts have to be removed to get to this belt or how much pain it is to remove this belt? THanks.. Please post any info..
Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 AM
cruzalekz

need to remove a tranny mount i believe and alternator belt to get to the ac belt. if you would replace the ac belt, i suggest to replace the other belts too.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM
ddd4114

Try tightening the belt a little first, but don't overdo it. If that doesn't help, just replace it. Don't put WD-40 on the belt - it's squealing because it's slipping, and that will only make it worse.

As mentioned above, you'll have to remove an engine mount to replace the belt, and you might as well replace the power steering belt while you're at it. You have to remove it to replace the A/C belt anyway. The alternator belt is also pretty straight forward if you've gotten that far. It takes me 30-45 min to replace an A/C belt, and you'll just need a basic wrench/socket set and a jack to put under the oil pan. Allocate two hours though, because some of the bolts could be a huge pain in the ass to break loose if you haven't done this in a while (or ever).
Old 06-01-2010, 03:30 AM
honda1998civic

ok thanks ddd4114... I think i will try to tighten up the ac belt first because the ac belt doesnt have any cracks on it so it actually looks in better shape than the power steering and alternator belts... Thanks for good info.. Will keep looking into replacing them before i do so I can make it happen quick... Ill look into also why the jack is needed under the oil pan.. Thanks alot for the tips guys... I had other problems with the car right before this and almost thought I was going to have to put this 98 civic away for good?.. Glad there is still folks here to reply if we need help on our older hondas.. thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM
ddd4114

The jack is just needed to support the engine while you remove the motor mount.

Good luck.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
cruzalekz

you need the jack to raise up the engine mount so you could put the bolts back easily.