Notices

'91 Integra front suspension

Old 03-28-2003, 12:07 AM
scotts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Integra front suspension

Suspension gurus:

My '91 RS has always ridden smooth, but w/235k+ miles (all mine, I'm do 180mi/day now), its begun to get loose. Trying to tighten front end up, I've done/had done the following in the last year:
- New axles (stock+),
- new OEM rubber bushings (tried poly - fugetaboudit)
- new wheel bearings,
- newly turned rotors,
- H&R OEM Sport springs & KYB AGX's.

Before the new struts, it was REALLY rough - one side was popped, the other just dead. With the new struts, rides much better, but there's still a VERY real wheel shake between 60-80, and a "loose" wobble feel as I let off the gas & coast in that range. Definitely torque sensitive - hit the gas shake picks up, but wobble goes away.

One thing, looking at the upper control arms, I notice they are NOT centered in the strut tower, they're much tighter toward the front than the rear - tight enough it is difficult to even get a combo 14mm between the arm & the wall. Is this normal???

Any wisdom/help/suggestions !?!?
Old 03-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Taiwanze7

umm, I know this sounds obvious... but when was the last time you had an 4 wheel digital alignment? How worn are your tires?
Old 03-29-2003, 11:19 PM
scotts

Aligned about 6mo. ago, tires at the same time. Also, tie rod ends (outer) are new. Clearly alignment isn't/wasn't holding; front tire wear looks like bad negative camber - but all that wear was BEFORE the new springs/struts.

On the plus side - I replaced the lower ball joints today & things are improved. No more wobble, shake's down to a shimmy. Hopefully this is why last align made it WORSE.

BTW, my question about the upper arm wonders if upper arms might be swapped. I looked while knuckles were off & the mount L/R stamps are right, but neither ctrl arm is stamped. I even swapped arms/opposite mounts to eyeball difference, though I left them as is.

For reference, stock upper arms - trailing outer edge (by mount) is slight curve, leading edge has flat edge (about 2") for front tower wall clearance; this puts the ball joint further BACK, and the knuckle & strut are at the same angle to vertical. Anyone w/90-93 stock supsension - does this look right to you? Or do knuckle & strut form a 10 degree angle to each other? I'd be really peeved if they're swapped, but the effect would be negative *caster* (I think).
Old 03-31-2003, 06:08 AM
gregz93integra
Banned

low pro tires, front strut tower bar, lower tie bar, new shocks/springs.
If you get the following items, your car will ride damn good reguardless of mileage. my car rides as smooth at 100mph just like it does at 60mph.

oh yeah, is your teg set up stock?
do you have aftermarket wheels?
Old 04-01-2003, 09:36 PM
scotts

Aftermarket wheels - not hub centric, and I'm not too happy with them, but there was a shimmy before when I was stock.

Stock in all other respects.

So question: does the strut tower bar tighten up the front end considerably - ie., is it DRAMATIC or is it subtle improvement? Ditto with the larger tie bar...

Again - major improvement with the ball joints replaced that was definiately the wander/wobble/loose steer. The shimmy that's left I'm hoping will improve w/rebalance & re-alignment.

But the upper bj's still might be bad - I know that the BMW's have a wicked front end shake when the upper arm bushings & joint get worn. For the price of a SPC ball joint set, I think I'll replace them just to make the camber adjustable, though I'd like to get caster adjustment in the bargain.

Anyone try the Kmac camber/caster adjustable kit?