Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

No friggen midbass.... need help..

Old 03-27-2003, 11:37 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No friggen midbass.... need help..

My car setup... Nak 45z, Audio control three.1, eclipse 3640 4 channel amp, running rainbow dreamlines 6 1/2's upfront and kenwoods in back.

The audiocontrol is set by factory at 90hz crossover on a24db slope. The eclipse amp is playing passthru.. with no hi or lo pass engaged. My subwoofer sounds great ( JL 250/1 to Edesign12K)

My accord coupe doors are deadened with at least 2-3 layers of deadening material, I used the altered stock brackets to hold the woofers and placed the tweeters on the upper door panel.

The headunit is flat across Bass,Mid, treble at 0, no bass boost on eclipse amp either.

........... as of now I have almost zero midbass.... if I try messing with the HU bass controls.. the midbass and subwoofer increase and sound artificial and boomy.

The JL amp is also set to pass through.. I thought because the Audio control EQ is splitting the signal 90hz below to sub and 90hz above to 4 speakers, I dont need to mess with the crossover setting of the 250/1 amp. So basically both amps are playing pass through and the crossover is handled by the three.1

Well that's all the details of my car audio situation.. first tried old CDT slim coaxials in the front doors and now I switched to dreamlines... the midbass did not increase at all or if so only marginally.

Any help guys!!?? I ordered a 70hz module for the audiocontrol to set the crossover point down to 70hz. I thught that might help... but other than that I'm utterly confused...
Old 03-27-2003, 09:19 PM
97teg

Going down to 70 might help. Can try boosting the mid on the hu to see if that helps. Since to crossover is pretty steep it might not be letting much midbass infomation through. Could be some cancellation. If thats the case try lowering the crossover on the sub amp to see if you get a bit more mids other than that i dunno.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:49 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Right now the sub am is on passthrough.. what setting on the LPF should I put? I'll update any other changes(if any) in midbass once I get and install the 70hz module..

How does one cancel out cancellations? Is that why people switch the + and - on the midwoofer... reverse the phase.. is is that for stopping cancellations?.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:09 AM
97teg

You can try to revese the phase on the sub cause that is usally easier. YThat is just changing the + and - . IT could also be becasue both the mids and sub have some overlap and difference in location might make some cancellation. I guess the only thing to do in that cause is lower he ossover on the sub amp to slightly below what the audio control x over is at. Just some things you might want to fiddle with until you ge the 70 hz module. You can awlays put everything back
Old 03-28-2003, 05:42 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

I'll try reversing the dreamline mids first.... when I look at the woofers playing the drivers are moving alot.. but it's as if the sound is disappearing... ya know? I do believe there is some sort of cancellation... I'll also buy some hard plastic baffles from pepboys(Metra baffles.. unlike the XTC which I think are soft foam..) this also might help...

It's raining all weekend in jersey..
Old 03-29-2003, 02:32 AM
Randy12vp

I think reversing the phase would do the trick possibly as well. If you're getting movement with no or little output, you definitely have some cancellation problems. I also think the 70Hz chip from Audiocontrol will help out as well.