Notices

1998 honda civic steering wheel has a little shake to it while driving 55mph

Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 honda civic steering wheel has a little shake to it while driving 55mph

Have a 1998 honda civic that has a little shake to it while driving 55 mph down the highway.. If I go 70 the shake calms down a little only because I am driving much faster but it is still there because I can feel it and see it on my hand while holding steering wheel.. I just took it in to get a wheel alignment and the shop said they made adjustments and the only thing I needed to replace was the rear struts.. So I put brand new rear struts.. I am hoping they would have told me if I needed front struts as well? They said they were able to make adjustments to align wheels in front so they said no need to replace them.. But I do not know what could be causing my steering wheel to shake a like it does and do not want brand new tires to wear if in fact it is bad front struts or weak front struts.. Any clues what could cause this shake?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The cheapest thing to try right now is to get the wheels rebalanced and also see if the tires are wearing odd (aka cupping, scalloping, bald inner or outer sidewalls).

Do you have aftermarket wheels? If so what size? The larger your wheels the more chance you have of bending them if you have hit a huge pothole or road hazard. Run your hand around the lip of the wheel (both inside and out) and see if you feel any indentation. I have had the smallest bend on my older wheels that I barely felt but my sponsor was able to find it.

The other thing that it could be is bad shocks, suspension bushings or just worn out suspension components which can wear your tires weird.

Usually anything that shimmies and shakes at a certain speed is a bent wheel, bad tire or out of balance wheels/tire combo.