Notices

License plate lights not working civic 2005

Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM
borgsted99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOLVED! For me anyway. My boss had me replace his license lights, but it did nothing. Long story short, i discovered that the curved arm of the trunk lid mount was abraiding the trunk liner carpet, folding it away from the passenger side trunk wall, causing it to stress the wiring harness. Right about at this point in the harness's run (near the curved arm) I opened up the tape and found a union of the taillight wire (3 on forward side mating with one rearward) that had become disconnected due to the strain. I reconnected it with a butt connector and now all is well. Easy location to check first, and likely the cause. Shoddy trunk liner retainers likely leading to a lot of this issue. Hope that helps.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:29 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

This happened to my moms 2005 civic earlier today. After opening the wireloom I saw the problem. Honda didn't solder any wires at the junction instead there is a 4-1 crimp. After the repetitive opening and closing of the trunk the uncrimped portion of the wire eventually breaks. Solution is to first extend the wire (Red w/yellow stripe) at least 6" to relieve stress on the crimped portion. I also decided to solder the wires together and use heatshrink as well.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Harry2004

Originally Posted by borgsted99
SOLVED! For me anyway. My boss had me replace his license lights, but it did nothing. Long story short, i discovered that the curved arm of the trunk lid mount was abraiding the trunk liner carpet, folding it away from the passenger side trunk wall, causing it to stress the wiring harness. Right about at this point in the harness's run (near the curved arm) I opened up the tape and found a union of the taillight wire (3 on forward side mating with one rearward) that had become disconnected due to the strain. I reconnected it with a butt connector and now all is well. Easy location to check first, and likely the cause. Shoddy trunk liner retainers likely leading to a lot of this issue. Hope that helps.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Harry2004

I had exactly the same propblem. Reading all these comments allowed me to go directly to the point where one wire became disconnected on my 2004 Honda Civic. Following the wire bundle along the trunk hinge to the first point at which it was attached to the body of the car, I found that point to be a stress point when the trunk was opened or closed. Opening the sheath around the wires at this connection point exposed the disconnected wire. Thanks to all who commented on this problem. You saved me a lot of work.