Notices

synthetic oil???? or no synthetic oil

Old 03-20-2003, 12:29 PM
jaisteele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil???? or no synthetic oil

im pretty new to the board but really have just been browsing alot. well since i've done a b18c1 swap into my car, ive had nothing but synthetic oil, mainly because it was new to the market and i thought id try it out. ive also heard that i can no longer use regular motor oil unless i flush the engine first....now my question is...how much more help in protecting my engine does the synthetic oil do compared to regular oil, and what are the pro's and con's for using it.

jai
Old 03-20-2003, 02:16 PM
bruthaboost

What exactly do you expect syn oil to do for that conventional hasn't been doing for years? I always wonder why so many people insinst on this stuff. I know I know; heat resistance. I've turned conventional and syn oil black in under 1000mi. Besides Mobile one doesn't have the best side loading properties. IMHO syn oil is just throwing away money. I know some folks will strongly disagree, but I've yet to run into someone who's engine failed prematurely from using conventional oil.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:30 PM
90'RS

I think syn oil is good for turbo appliciation just because of the high temps the turbo can get to but I also beleive that conventional oil is o.k. for the daily driver.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:57 AM
mrhonda_187

I've recently switched from conventional (Valvoline 5w-30) to Mobil 1 SS 5w-30. My decision was based on the promise of protection across a much greater temperature range (particularly cold startups in winter conditions); and 10,000 km change intervals, but we'll see about that. I've already noticed a 15% increase in gas mileage. I'd highly recommend it, but that's just my opinion. Learn more here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=1
Old 03-21-2003, 07:18 AM
v-teg01
Candy

I've also heard that in the colder weather you should be using 5w-30 syn. or not. In the warmer weather you should be using 10w-30 syn. or not. dont ry mixing the different types though. You need to get an oil change, change it with syn., and stick with it dont put the regular type in there.

Just a lil info
Old 03-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Tobra

In a water cooled engine, synthetic is superior, particularly with respect to resisting degradation from heat, and flowing at low temps. It will last longer, and I have also noted a slight increase in fuel economy. That said, if you are changing your oil often, you are wasting your money. I originally switched when I was driving a lot, and went to 5000 mile intervals on changes. I run dyno juice in the bug, because syn does not absorb heat, which is one of its jobs in an air cooled motor.