Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Someone Help Please!!!

Old 03-20-2003, 10:14 AM
luder621

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone Help Please!!!

I have a problem with my stereo. I have an MTX 5 channel amp with 3 MTX Blue Thunder 10's. The other day, some putz slammed on their brakes, forcing me to do the same. Because of this, my box flew across my trunk and yanked the ground out. The amp started thumping my subs constantly, but the radio worked fine. I immediately turned off the stereo and hooked the ground back up ASAP.

Anyway, I noticed that when I have the radio on and turn up the volume, my subs seem fine but my other speakers fuzz every hit of the subs, like it is disrupting the reception. These speakers are not powered by the amp, just the head unit. When I put a CD on it seems fine. I am wondering if it is my head unit or my amp that is causing the problem here and what can be done to fix it.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:07 PM
exluver

The only way to know for sure if it was caused by that incident is to isolate the problem. First, disconnect the amp and see if the speakers still make that noise. If they do, then you know it's not the amp causing the problem. If they still make the noise, try and connect the speakers to another radio source. This may be difficult as you may have to remove them. If you have a spare speaker lying around, fade the sound to the speaker making the noise and then disconnect it and connect the spare speaker up and see what happens. If the noise is still there, you will have to go from there.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:24 AM
luder621

Thanks for the tip. I did try something else last night. I hooked my sub outs from my headunit into the rear outs instead. I thought maybe I damaged the rca outs from the headunit. When I did this, it acted the same way. This either means the headunit is not the problem, or the front, rear and sub rca outs on the headunit were all damaged.

I'm hoping someone has had a bad ground or accidental disconnecting sometime. If so what happened??? Thanks.