Notices

Questions on installing camshafts

Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 AM
PearlBlueB16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on installing camshafts

"Next, use a 17-mm socket to rotate the crank pulley by hand. This will make it easier to realign the new cams once they've been installed. The idea here is to bring the Number One cylinder to TDC on the intake stroke (not exhaust)and this is identified by the "UP" markings on the cam gears.You can be sure you're precisely at TDC by lining up the lone white mark on the crank pulley
with the timing mark on the lower timing belt cover "

Does anyone have pictures on the crank pulley being rotated? Im not sure which pulley is the crank. thanks.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:17 AM
luti

Its the big pulley down by the axel on the driver side. Its the one that all the accessories belts are driven from. Follow your Power Steering and A/C belts back and they should both be coming from the same pulley. Its huge, near the bottom of the block, cant miss it.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:17 AM
pomansouth

do you know where the crank shaft is
if so then the crank pulley is the pulley on the end of that. it should have either three of four belt running off of it and also it should be the only pulley on the bottom end of the motor its self. it is on the same side as the cam sprokets.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:22 PM
90'RS

If you don't know where the crank shaft is please back away from the car and send it to a mechanic.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:24 PM
luti

Originally posted by 90'RS
If you don't know where the crank shaft is please back away from the car and send it to a mechanic.
Hey, he's got to learn somewhere/how just be careful and get a manual (Helms makes the best). As long as you dont **** up the install it should be fine. But, ****ing up does have its advantages, you end up learning more when your done (assuming you fix the problem on your own).
Old 03-17-2003, 02:05 PM
PearlBlueB16

haha thanks for the support luti. I know a lot about my B-series engine, but have never opened up the head nor have I worked on the bottom end. From the directions and researching ive done installing camshafts seems plausible enough for someone of my competence level to accomplish. I do however have another question: once ive installed the camshafts and sprokets, how do I tune the gears for advancement and retard? I figure since im lazy, ill mess around with the gears till i find which settings pull more.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:55 PM
90'RS

Originally posted by luti
Hey, he's got to learn somewhere/how just be careful and get a manual (Helms makes the best). As long as you dont **** up the install it should be fine. But, ****ing up does have its advantages, you end up learning more when your done (assuming you fix the problem on your own).
Your right it does have it's advantages but this is something that should already be known before attempting these things and yes the helms will be very helpfull for him. The big problem is something aren't fixed easily or cheaply.
PearlBlue good luck and just try to learn before you do it and not after.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:26 AM
Psychosis
Meber

Originally posted by PearlBlueB16
I do however have another question: once ive installed the camshafts and sprokets, how do I tune the gears for advancement and retard? I figure since im lazy, ill mess around with the gears till i find which settings pull more.
Dear god please take your car to a mechanic, you don't know wtf you're doing.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:49 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally posted by PearlBlueB16
haha thanks for the support luti. I know a lot about my B-series engine, but have never opened up the head nor have I worked on the bottom end. From the directions and researching ive done installing camshafts seems plausible enough for someone of my competence level to accomplish. I do however have another question: once ive installed the camshafts and sprokets, how do I tune the gears for advancement and retard? I figure since im lazy, ill mess around with the gears till i find which settings pull more.
you better let professionals tune it on a dyno