Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Pager Alarm unit with best range? Old seperate pagers vs. newer 2-ways.

Old 03-16-2003, 03:44 PM
svaughan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pager Alarm unit with best range? Old seperate pagers vs. newer 2-ways.

I'm looking to get an alarm that will page me when it goes off. I've been looking at the DEI "Responder" units, but have talked to some people and they say the range isnt that great (such as it wont go off if inside a mall or movie theater).

So, that has gotten me to thinking I might look into an old style pager (like the ones you could get as an add on for Alpine, Clifford, and numerous other alarms). Some of these say they are 4 watt units and get about 2 mile range. There is one from DEI the 795t I've been looking at, anyone know how the range is on these or the older pager systems that you just piggybacked to existing alarms?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2003, 07:51 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Most people will tell you that a pager alarm, is just a gimick. Unless you wish to exponetially increase your chances of being shot by a spooked car theif.... it's NOT recommended to get a pager alarm.

Other than the WOW factor... it's just hype.

IMO. Skip the pager and put that money into a better alarm system.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:58 AM
CivEx97

clickwir:
Well, Clifford alarms are pager alarms ... and I thought they were good alarms.
What would you suggest putting the money into?
Old 03-25-2003, 08:01 PM
K i o n
TrackDemon

compustar's newer spread spectrum system supposedly boasts a 1.25 mile range...

but yeah, you have to be fairly close by for most other 2way pagers to work... clifford's avantgarde4 is the ultimate alarm system for the money if you're looking at a non-pager alarm
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

I'll have to agree with Kion on the Compustar Spread Spectrum. It's supposed to have mad range. But at $700 installed:jawdrop: , it's not worth it to me....

I mean, do YOU or anyone really need to spend that much money for peace of mind??? That's all an alarm is for right??? To make you feel better that your car is safe. Some people need to spend more to feel better. But in the end, all it ends up doing is making you even more paranoid....:awais:

Factor in your insurance deductible, level of risk/theft where you live and go, how much attention your car attracts, etc... when decide on how much to spend on an alarm. :thinking:
Old 03-27-2003, 09:31 AM
barto

ok, we got it for 650 installed, including a proximity sensor, window module (roll up and down windows/sunroof). only 499 for the installed for the alarm/remote start only. It is freakin awesome. best remote pager alarm yet, start my car from on campus and it is just over 1 mile away.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:30 PM
K i o n
TrackDemon

Originally posted by barto
ok, we got it for 650 installed, including a proximity sensor, window module (roll up and down windows/sunroof). only 499 for the installed for the alarm/remote start only.
that can't be for the spread spectrum version is it?
Old 03-29-2003, 02:37 AM
Randy12vp

My shop sells the Viper 790xv as well as the Hornet 2-way alarm system and we've never encountered any issues concerning range.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:12 AM
cpgoose

Can you sell the 790xv to people, or do you require that you install it too?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:03 AM
dantastic
cx power!

Originally posted by barto
best remote pager alarm yet, start my car from on campus and it is just over 1 mile away.
why would u need to do that? if youre a mile away from your car, and your alarm goes off, ur stereo and rims are gonna be gone by the time u get back to ur car. the best thing to do is have a decent alarm and park your car in a populated, well lit area as much as possible. if ur in a shady neighborhood, park close to where u can be. i think the MOST IMPORTANT thing on ur alarm system is a battery back-up siren.

btw, clifford alarms dont have integrated pagers, but u can add one on