Notices

what a mess up

Old 03-15-2003, 03:31 PM
bottlenose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what a mess up

i was installing new DC header today and i over torqued 2 bolts causing them to snap and get stuck inside the head.....the head of the bolt is snapped off the body....what luck eh? so now i had to take the car to the mechanic and hes going to drill into the bolt and re tap it. he said its not that hard. but i didnt have the right tools for it...all well. hopefully ill have mycar back soon:doh:
Old 03-15-2003, 04:15 PM
90'RS

What a shame but how much were you torqing them to snap it? I had to pay a shop to do the same thing one time but different bolt and was charged out the a** for it. Did you try an easy out first?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:51 PM
bottlenose

if the bolt is easy access then its probly cheaper cuz it takes less time....no easy out will not work, it snapped at 20 lbs per foot. no way to grab the bolt cuz its inside the head only way is to drill it out.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:47 PM
stealthteg

well dont be suprised because on those bolts its VERY comon for them to snap! because of their location, and them being exposed.
its a bitch!!
if the bolts are not used often they will seize!
it happened to my stock exhaust manifold bolt, and the bolt on my passenger seat!!! ****in brutal!!