Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

the tire thread.

Old 03-10-2003, 06:11 PM
b00gers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the tire thread.

this is not so much track and autox, but i think this would be the best place to ask. if this violates anything, just move it.

im in the market for new tires. i currently have 205-45-16 falkens. im not sure of the exact model, but its one of the cheaper (quality / price) models.

im looking for tires that will be my daily driver. they will be going on my 16" rotas.

-i want a tire that will give me very good grip in wet and dry.
-budget is an important deciding factor.
-im looking at the $350 range for all 4 mounted and balanced.
-also it would be nice to have really good tread life.

i do not do any types of hard driving. but that doesnt mean i dont appreciate good grip.

thanks for all your input.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:40 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have kumho 712's on my 15s. They only cost me $60 a pop. They have really good wet and dry traction. Not a good winter tire though (if that applies where you live). I autocrossed on them once for kicks in STS (in H-stock I used to race on victoracers) they were actually surprisingly good, for a pure street tire. Tread life should be decent if you don't tear them up like I do. When they wear out I'm gonna try Falken Azenis..... that is, if BFG doesn't get off their frickin pedistal and sell the KD's at a reasonable price.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:47 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Default Re: the tire thread.

Originally posted by WiLL

-i want a tire that will give me very good grip in wet and dry.
-also it would be nice to have really good tread life.

P.S..... Very good grip and really good treadlife don't really jive. Its kinda one or the other. Kumho is a pretty good compromise between these factors, in my opinion :thumbup: But what do I know?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:01 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Default Re: Re: the tire thread.

Originally posted by white_n_slow
P.S..... Very good grip and really good treadlife don't really jive. Its kinda one or the other. Kumho is a pretty good compromise between these factors, in my opinion :thumbup: But what do I know?
Sadly, very good grip in the dry and wet and low price don't jive either.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:11 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

you said it.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:58 AM
jc836

Just my experiences-the Prelude has been on the stock RE-92s-grip is good in the dry. The RE-730s it is now on are fine for both daily driving and HPDE track days. Great grip wet (Watkins Glen) and dry (The Glen and Pocono). They travel very nicely for long drives. I had a set of Pirelli P-8000 (NTB/Sears) and they were fine for daily and trips, but not as good as the RE-730s.
My Civic (SOLD) has Dunlop SP5000 now and the grip wet, dry or snow is terrific. This tire is available in a ZR rating and for the car they are on a much better choice than the Euro TA or GT-Qualifiers that I previously had on the car.
The CRX will be shod with one of several possible choices-but it is a race setup so that does not fit the mix.

I think it is important to consider the specific car, wheel size and most important where you are and your driving style. If you have a car that is PLUS sized be careful with your selections. My Prelude's wheels are Motegi MR12 in a 16 (stock diameter) and the car corners like on rails. The Civic is on 15" AR Spyders which is a PLUS size-but the tires are properly matched to a car that is lowered and stiffer than stock.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2003, 04:28 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

jc, when you have been at the Glen?
Old 03-28-2003, 03:12 PM
jc836

When was I last at Watkins Glen-last summer actually. The PDA session there was in July. Weather for that Monday-Tuesday was both wet and dry and the car ran just fine both days. We did have an issue with the brakes-but that has since been taken care of. The RE-730s were perfect with hot pressures around 38psi. I think I'm the only one in that group with a Crystal Blue car #99 btw. We return there this summer, probably with the CRX - assuming I can find a set of tires for it I like <G>.

E-mail if you want to chat.
Old 04-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Tobra

I have the Kumhos, and I don't like them as much as the Yokohama AVS intermediates I had. Of course, ANYTHING is better than the OEM Michelins. The Kumhos are wearing better than the Yokes, but the Yokes were pretty impressive in dry grip, far superior to the Kumhos. I got about 25-30 K miles out of the yokes, but they were as bald as Kojak. You won't need to worry about the snow in Oaktown. One thing I will give the Kumhos, they are pretty good in the wet.