Notices
News & Rumors Archives Useful threads, previous Cars of the Week, and more.
View Poll Results: Which Sport/Luxury Sedan Would You Purchase In The $25,000-$30,000 Category?
Acura 3.2TL
9.09%
Acura TSX
45.45%
Audi A4 1.8T
6.82%
BMW 325i
15.91%
Honda Accord EX V-6
6.82%
Jaguar X-Type 2.5
0%
Nissan Maxima SE
9.09%
Saab 9-3 Linear
4.55%
Volkswagen Passat V-6 GLX
2.27%
Volvo S60 2.4
0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

H-A.Net Car of the Week 03.10-03.17: 2004 Acura TSX

Old 03-10-2003, 08:03 PM
The Beav
i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like it alot, it's a good looking family car with some potential to be a weekend warrier too
Old 03-10-2003, 11:29 PM
asianautica

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic™
Don't bet the ranch. Integra was based on suspension geometry from 1994. TSX is essentially all-new, and with 200HP, 0-60 should fall in the range of 6.6 seconds. 3200 pounds is about par for this class. I guess because the BMW M3 weighs more than the Integra GS-R it won't handle as well.
uh, you're comparing a M3 FR car to a GS-R FF car? Then I can say the Exige out handles the M3 and it's lighter. More weight = more body roll, which we all know is bad. So what if the suspension geometry was from 1994, the ITR was based on it and it's the best FF handling car up until now. The NSX suspension geometry is based on a 1991 car, and it still kick ass, what's your point? Newer doesn't always mean better. If you do a simple power to weight ratio, the integra and the new TSX has about the same ratio. The RSX-S which is lighter and has 200HP, yet it's getting mid 6 in 0-60 so I wouldn't expect that from a car that's 400lb more.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:23 AM
rb6teg

Why isn't the Mazda 6 included in the poll?
Old 03-11-2003, 07:05 AM
AcuraFanatic

Originally posted by asianautica
uh, you're comparing a M3 FR car to a GS-R FF car? Then I can say the Exige out handles the M3 and it's lighter. More weight = more body roll, which we all know is bad. So what if the suspension geometry was from 1994, the ITR was based on it and it's the best FF handling car up until now. The NSX suspension geometry is based on a 1991 car, and it still kick ass, what's your point? Newer doesn't always mean better. If you do a simple power to weight ratio, the integra and the new TSX has about the same ratio. The RSX-S which is lighter and has 200HP, yet it's getting mid 6 in 0-60 so I wouldn't expect that from a car that's 400lb more.
Please stop humoring me. I was making a point that just because a car is heavier doesn't mean it will have more body roll. The Suzuki Aerio is substantially lighter than the Acura 3.2CL, and yet has more body roll.

The weight of a car is not a rule to determine handling. At most, the only thing it would effect is it's tossibility.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:16 AM
asianautica

Originally posted by AcuraFanatic™
Please stop humoring me. I was making a point that just because a car is heavier doesn't mean it will have more body roll. The Suzuki Aerio is substantially lighter than the Acura 3.2CL, and yet has more body roll.

The weight of a car is not a rule to determine handling. At most, the only thing it would effect is it's tossibility.
Your argument is pointless. You're comparing two cars in two completely different class. The TSX is basically an updated GS-R. They're going for the same market the GS-R used to have. I agree w/ you that weight is not everything, but when both cars were designed by the same manufacturer for the same class, I'm pretty sure the weight does make a difference.

Weight is PART of the rule for determining handling. I'm not saying that weight is the only factor in determining handling, but it's part of it. Just ask all the race car builder, why do you think the 350ZR and other cars in its class like the Ferrari weigh only 2400lb? Besides suspension geometry, the less the car weigh, the less weight on the wheel which mean it'll have more traction at higher speed which improves handling.

If you still think that weight doesn't play a role in handling, tell me a 3200lb car that can out handle a miata on the track without costing over 2X as much?

Edit: I didn't mean to say that it handles any worse than the GS-R did. But I'm sure it's not leaps and bounds above the GS-R in performance either, which is what I'm trying to say. Basically, I agree w/ 1/2 the verdict:

"Verdict: Suprasses the Integra sedan by leaps and bounds in luxury AND performance. "
Old 03-11-2003, 10:18 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rb6teg
Why isn't the Mazda 6 included in the poll?
It's not luxurious enough.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:02 PM
VTEC

I was at the California Speedway March 8-9 to see the Honda Challenge race during the NASA race weekend. Acura had about 4 TSXs in the infield parking lot, along with an autocross course (including simulated gravel and train tracks) and a few competitors (Lexus IS 300, Volvo sedan, Audi sedan).

Does anyone have info on this Pepsi-challenge type comparison test? It looked to be an invite-only affair. Here are my TSX pics...

Garage in infield reserved for Acura. Looks like displays are being setup.

More display pieces

Some people were setting up video displays (rear of pic)

White TSX

Some competitors in the background

Sport shifter

Stock front end

Tester putting Lexus through the autocross course

Acura OEM body kit

Old 03-11-2003, 01:06 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good pics, VTEC. Were you there is a dealer?

That OEM bodykit is sessy :yumyum:
Old 03-11-2003, 01:17 PM
asianautica

I really like that OEM body kit. Just perfect.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:25 PM
VTEC

No...I was at the Speedway as the team photographer for the Hybrids Racing Honda Challenge race car team. (shameless plug, our lead driver, Andy Hope, won both the Saturday and Sunday H1 races!).

I was scouting for shooting locations prior to the Honda Challenge race and I saw the last garage building was cordoned off. One whole parking lot in the infield was also closed off for the TSX autocross course. So I just went up and started taking some pics.