Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Bodykits/Lowered cars - How to get under & on lifts

Old 03-04-2003, 07:04 PM
beamog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bodykits/Lowered cars - How to get under & on lifts

I am taking an auto tech class, and met tonight for the first time. We could not get my car onto a lift since the lift arms would rest on the side skirts. Nor could be get it on the alignment lift since the front would have scrapped.

Question to all is, how do you go about getting under your car if it is lowered and/or has a bodykit on it?

I am going to use a few wood pieces next week to hopefully get it on the alignment lift. I also tried a floor jack they had there, but that was resting on the side skirts too. I was going to buy a floor jack, one that looks as though it would fit under the side skirt, and a few jack stands. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Section8Blammo
Crazy Canoodler

I spent an hour and a half on a lovely Saturday afternoon calling shop after shop trying to find a flatbed alignment rack. They do exist. It isn't easy finding one but they do exist. Another common one is crazy long ramps to get it up on a regular height alignment rack. Usually any shop that works on muscle cars regularily will have them. Those guys scrape too, thank God.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:28 AM
b00gers

yea my alignment place used those long wood ramps. they work fine. flatbed alignment places are HARD!!!!!! to find.

i dont know about getting onto a lift, but when my car was really low, i used the stock jack and lift up the sides, then used a hydro jack to get it higher. its a PITA, but thats about all you can do. unless you can some 2x4s...you can drive over them, then place the jack under that way.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:08 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant you just take the side skirts off?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:14 AM
coletrain25

Can you get the lift arms under your car?

If you can you should be able to tilt the end plat of the lift arm up a little bit, then the arm won't be resting on the sideskirts.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:18 PM
beamog

No I cannot take my skirts off, they are riveted on.

I can fit the arms under, but part of the arm rests on the kit.

I actually got it on the alignment lift the other day. I got some wood and make a little step looking ramp. Put it in front and got it on.

I'll have to try and use the stock jack and then the floor jack when I get it up. Thanks WiLL
Old 03-13-2003, 05:03 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

i know some people take off there front bumpers when eht try to get up a rack
Old 03-15-2003, 08:27 PM
Sham

My 94 Accord is dropped 3", and I went to Sears Auto Center to get it aligned $54.99 for all 4 tires). There's a certain Auto Center that specializes in lowered cars. I went there, and they didn't have any problems. They even adjusted the camber kit I installed for free.

Also, when I was going to get my exhaust installed (it was supposed to be cat-back RS*R, but didn't fit right, needed custom welding). I went to one shop, and they said that I'd have to either raise the car up with the coilovers, or take the bumper off. Both are things I didn't want to have to do. I drove down the road, and asked Midas if they could do it. They said sure, and even had a rack for lowered cars. I watched the guy drive it up, and off, didn't scrape. But I also have stock lips and skirts.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:06 PM
MikeR

when i put it on my budy's 2 post lift i drive into pos. and jack up front with floor jack, then slide arms under, and lower onto pads, his has different heigth pads you can make taller or shorter, then do the same for the rear, as far as alignment, i did the day on the phone thing as well with very little luck, finally i drive it on the lift so if damaged it's my fault, and with eurothane front it's pretty hard to damage other than paint
Old 05-05-2003, 06:57 PM
crucial Si
Banned

wood.