Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

88-91 Civic/CRX DIY Daytime running lights

Old 02-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Speed Phreak
Turbomafia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88-91 Civic/CRX DIY Daytime running lights

This was in response to a post in the pre-92 civic forum about how to keep your bumper lights on at all times. Done one way this can simulate Daytime Running Lights(DRLs).

Here is a quick and dirty wiring diagram. This setup wired as shown about will allow your bumper lamps to with your head lights. I included the extra relay connected to the high-beams that will shut them off when you click on the high-beams. You don't have to use this function, I just thought it was neat.

Here are some notes.

1)
You can remove the high beam relay without bothering the circuit. It's just there if you wanna simulate the bumper lights being fog lights. DOT regs in most states require that your fog lights switch off when your high beams come on. Though I doubt most places that inspect car are gonna care about it. You can subsitute any 12v switched source for the high beam trigger if you wish to be able to turn your park/DRL lights off. Most GM vehicals DRL shut off when the parking break is pressed, it wouldn't be that hard to integrate this feature into the circuit.

2)
If you want the circuit on with your park lights, all thats necessary is that you switch the low beam 12v signal to a 12v signal from your park lights. For the Daytime Running light approach wire the aforementioned circuit to an "ON with igniton" source. Basically any 12v source can be used on this leg of the circuit as the trigger for your lights to come on.

3)
The reason the low filiment is used for the park light function is b/c if you wouldn't be able to see turn signal if it was wired to the high filiment.

4)
The reason this setup uses relays is that the stock wiring system won't support more load on the park light system w/o just not working at all. You could staight wire the bulbs to the head lights but I didn't think that was very safe or clean.

5) You can pick the relays up here for you internet shut-ins, they also have wiring harness. Or at your local radio shack. The sockets are just std 1157 dual filiment bulb sockets, easy place to source them from would be from the tail lights of most Honda's.