Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alpine speaker choices

Old 02-28-2003, 07:15 AM
Rycechyk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine speaker choices

My system is changing once again. Now I'm questioning my decision to purchase Alpine type-r components. First of all, nobody is helping me with custom install instructions for the sail panel in a 4th gen Accord EX. Secondly, even if I did decide to get the components, I think the magnet is too big. Is making a spacer of some sorts a complicated procedure?

Next, if I don't get components for the above reasons, then I would get Alpine coaxials. Just my front speakers are bad. So....should I buy the fronts and then get a sub setup? (If I can find some JL's super-cheap online.) I like that idea better than getting coaxials all around, because my stock rears still sound good and the subs would back them up/drown them out anyway.

HELP!!!

thanks.
Old 02-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Mike
Banned

Personally I'd go with a component set up...The sail shouldn't be a big problem other than attaching it with couple screws. The spacer is easily made with an MDF (Medium Density Fiberboad)ring. You can buy the stuff at any hardware store. Although the doors in your Accord shouldn't be that shallow. If it truely is a problem, and you're finding it difficult to allocate a jig saw to cut the spacers you can try using your old front speakers as spacers for the mid ranges in your component set up. Just hack them apart and find a way to attach it to your midrange and then to your door in the factory place.

Asking people if you should get a certain set of speakers in a public forum like this is really a bad idea. Your best bet is to go down to a Car Audio place and listen for yourself. There's no advice as good as your own ears.

Components, a set of 6x9s (these don't need a heck of alot of power) in the rear for fill, and a sub will do the trick. It's more about placement and installation. Such as your wanting to mount your components in the factory location. They will sound 100x better if they are installed in kick panels correctly I emphasize correctly because it's easy to incorrectly install them. Q Logic makes kick panels, which you can seal with fiberglass to make them enclosures. I think that would be your best bet.

I hope this clears a little bit up for you.

Also you didn't mention if you were powering your speakers up front off an external amp or the one onboard your head unit. I highly recomend using an external amplifer as components will need the clean power to sound good.

Mike
Old 02-28-2003, 10:20 AM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

Originally posted by Mike
Personally I'd go with a component set up...The sail shouldn't be a big problem other than attaching it with couple screws. The spacer is easily made with an MDF (Medium Density Fiberboad)ring. You can buy the stuff at any hardware store. Although the doors in your Accord shouldn't be that shallow. If it truely is a problem, and you're finding it difficult to allocate a jig saw to cut the spacers you can try using your old front speakers as spacers for the mid ranges in your component set up. Just hack them apart and find a way to attach it to your midrange and then to your door in the factory place.

Asking people if you should get a certain set of speakers in a public forum like this is really a bad idea. Your best bet is to go down to a Car Audio place and listen for yourself. There's no advice as good as your own ears.

Components, a set of 6x9s (these don't need a heck of alot of power) in the rear for fill, and a sub will do the trick. It's more about placement and installation. Such as your wanting to mount your components in the factory location. They will sound 100x better if they are installed in kick panels correctly I emphasize correctly because it's easy to incorrectly install them. Q Logic makes kick panels, which you can seal with fiberglass to make them enclosures. I think that would be your best bet.

I hope this clears a little bit up for you.

Also you didn't mention if you were powering your speakers up front off an external amp or the one onboard your head unit. I highly recomend using an external amplifer as components will need the clean power to sound good.

Mike
Listen to MIKE...he KNOWS what he is talking about!

GREAT REPLY MIKE!

Mike:thumbup:
Old 02-28-2003, 11:25 AM
Mike
Banned

Originally posted by MikesCommuter
Listen to MIKE...he KNOWS what he is talking about!

GREAT REPLY MIKE!

Mike:thumbup:
:wavey:
Old 02-28-2003, 05:50 PM
ShAg9yBrDr

yeah id definately stick with the alpines, save up and buy the jl 500/5 amp wich can power your sub(s) as well when the time comes and youd be set! definately go for the components tho, the sound is so much better.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:16 PM
xdannyx25

hearing them at a car audio place is different then how they will sound in a car
JL Audio amps are nice, but are overated and cost more then they should
you dont need to fill the rear with anything besides subs, unless you want people int he back to listen.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Mike
Banned

Originally posted by xdannyx25
hearing them at a car audio place is different then how they will sound in a car
JL Audio amps are nice, but are overated and cost more then they should
you dont need to fill the rear with anything besides subs, unless you want people int he back to listen.
Listening to speakers for yourself is alot more accurate than asking someone about them on a forum.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Rycechyk

Originally posted by Mike
Listening to speakers for yourself is alot more accurate than asking someone about them on a forum.
I know, but that's not my question I've already decided on which speakers I want, the question is what's my best option as far as combos go. Components now, or coaxials to save the install hassle and the money so I can buy subs sooner. Hey, you've been a great help. oh, BTW, I might just be running speakers off my deck for now, which also hugely influences my decision.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:35 PM
ShAg9yBrDr

components! no matter what!
Old 03-03-2003, 08:50 PM
97teg

I would go with the components. Its not that much harder to install them. If it were me i would go with an amp for the highs and do the sub last but thats just me. An amp for the highs makes a big difference. I would also recomend waiting and going with better stuff co you don't end up replacing it and having it cost more.