Notices

'05 TL Noisy Power Steering Pump

Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM
sujitroy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 TL Noisy Power Steering Pump

The last few days, the power steering pump seems to make a lot of nose. it only happens on cold mornings. Noise increases when you turn the wheels from lock to lock. Once the engine revs up, the noise goes way. It doesn't make the noise duirng the rest of the day.
Anyone else experienced this issue?
Thanks, Roy
Old 11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
brett2004

Default Noisy Power Steering Pump

I have been experiencing the same thing with my '05 as well. It is a defective seal; when it is cold outside it contracts and sucks air in when I cold start and foams up the fluid, which causes it to whine. Then, once it is warmed up, it expands and seals the air leak and the whining stops. I have been researching it and it seems that the "o-ring" or seal is all that really needs to be replaced. My pump works fine once the seal stops sucking in air, so I know it isn't the pump. I'm going to look into replacing that seal first - should only be ~$150 at most to have that done vs $2000 grand for a new pump.

Hope this helps, it is somewhere to start anyway.

If anyone knows anything about what seal it is, where to get it, and how to replace it 'd.i.y.', please let me know!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
brett2004

I fixed my cold weather whining pump for $2 and it took me about 10 minutes to do myself...real easy.

Just go to your local Acura dealership and ask for the compression O-Ring for your power steering pump, they will know exactly what you need - it costs less than $2 (I recommend buying 2 in case you lose one). You will need a 10mm wrench (not a socket, it won't fit). Find the hose that runs from the fluid resevior (comes out of the bottom of the resevior) to the pump. There is a single bolt holding it in place at the pump (also has a clamp on the hose there, just ignore that). Stuff a rag under that spot and remove the bolt and hose (keep the hose pointed up to reduce spillage). There should be a little black o-ring in the pump where the hose connects, remove and replace with new o-ring and replace the hose and bolt...problem solved!

I've had no more problems since.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:30 AM
cKristina
Acura Owner

Originally Posted by brett2004
I fixed my cold weather whining pump for $2 and it took me about 10 minutes to do myself...real easy.

Just go to your local Acura dealership and ask for the compression O-Ring for your power steering pump, they will know exactly what you need - it costs less than $2 (I recommend buying 2 in case you lose one). You will need a 10mm wrench (not a socket, it won't fit). Find the hose that runs from the fluid resevior (comes out of the bottom of the resevior) to the pump. There is a single bolt holding it in place at the pump (also has a clamp on the hose there, just ignore that). Stuff a rag under that spot and remove the bolt and hose (keep the hose pointed up to reduce spillage). There should be a little black o-ring in the pump where the hose connects, remove and replace with new o-ring and replace the hose and bolt...problem solved!

I've had no more problems since.
Thanks for the input, I have a similar problem on my Acura
Old 10-11-2012, 09:12 AM
revilor2

Is there a video or pictures on how to replace the o-ring?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM
cdubia

Originally Posted by brett2004

I'm having the same problem, cold weather out of the blue it starts making a grinding type noise when cold. The mechanic was looking at replacing the pump, but I suggested this fix, he's going to try it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Update: The mechanic originally had already tried flushing the pump, and added an additive to help it seal but when that didn't work, I suggested he replace the o-ring mentioned above. He said he'd try it, and after 2 days it seems to have worked great, no more noise on cold starts. Since it was such an easy fix, he only charged me for the power steering flush $85, and he was happy I found an alternative fix, rather than replacing the whole pump. He has 5 other clients with the same problem on their Honda and Acuras, so he's got a new low cost fix now. Thanks!

Last edited by cdubia; 01-10-2013 at 07:34 AM.