Notices

1993 Acura Vigor Starter Removal

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
wekoliohana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Acura Vigor Starter Removal

All Data says it takes 1.3 hours. Steps says to just remove the rear intake manifold brace and you can removed the starter bolts and remove the starter. But with the intake manifold in the way and it looks like it cannot be removed from the bottom.. How do you remove the starter??? Thanks, Victor
Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
aspen007

Replacing Starter

As you've discovered, replacing the starter is a tough task given the limited access space. The trick is to get some extra working space and to bring the starter out the top of the engine compartment. Here's some steps that should help.

1. Remove intake air cleaner box and intake hose. Space will allow you better access to starter and will be needed later to remove starter.

2. Remove speed sensor from differential. Do not disconnect fluid hoses.

3. Unbolt the vacuum control box from the firewall and push it and vacuum lines out of the way. This helps you get to the upper 14mm bolt holding the starter.

4. Remove rear intake manifold bracket from engine block. It's a formed piece shaped as a U channel, about 6 in long, with a flange and a hole on each end, takes two bolts, one threads into the underside of the manifold, and the other into the block.

5. To get a little more working space, remove the nut from the top of the motor mount on the driver’s side and jack up engine a couple of inches to create additional space for removing starter . Some owners have found that removing the Idle Air Control Valve also gives additional space.

6. Remove the two bolts that hold the starter. 0ne is 17mm and the other 14mm. Slide starter back and remove wires. The wires are easier to remove when the starter is loose and you can pull it toward the opening. Otherwise you can barely see them. The bolts are tough to get to and loosen. Upper bolt is torqued to 32 lb.ft. and lower one torqued to 54 lb.ft.

Slide starter toward front of car and remove through hole created by the airbox and intake tube.

Good luck.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 PM
wekoliohana

Thanks for the info. I work for a shop and they re only willing to pay 1 hour for my time. Seems like it would ake a few hours and was not worth the time to perform the job. Now if I was just getting paid by the hour. I would have done the job. Again, thanks for the info..