Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

super audio cds?

Old 02-25-2003, 06:05 AM
tennis32828

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default super audio cds?

Hi, i was wondering if any of you know what super audio cds (SACD) are and if it can be played on my 99tl. I found that the bose system in the 99 tl are very good, especially listening to cds with multi channel recordings. I think this is what SACD are, very high quality surround sound recordings, but i dont know if it can only be played in a system with a surround sound (5.1 or 6.1) setup, like a home entertainment system. If SACD doesnt work, do you guys know of any cd recordings that have surround sound effects? I know some classical music that have this recordings. thanks in advance
Old 02-25-2003, 09:47 AM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

SACD NEEDS a SPECIAL PLAYER that will accept the FORMAT..its the counterpart of DVD Audio...For you to be able to LISTEN to SACD, you ALSO MUST purchase an SACD Player (which I dont think are offered in an Automobile Environment).

Good Luck

Mike
Old 02-26-2003, 04:59 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Super Audio CD's are a special format of disc which must be played using only certain players which can read this format. They use a different code of software than the standard CD format, and curently there are no SACD players for cars. The player typically runs about 250.00 for a good one, and Sony, Pioneer, and Marantz are the only mfgs. who make them for home audio. The reason SACD (and DVD-Audio discs) are so much better than standard format is because they have true 5.1 channel, full bandwidth audio output. Since they have more than 2 channels of information, the discs contain much more data than standard audio. A standard audio disc contains about 650 mb of info, SACD about 1.5 GB, and a DVD-audio discs can hold upwards of 5 GB of software, since it uses the same format of a movie DVD. There is a player which can play DVD-Audio and SACD, as well as DVD movies and standard audio CDs. It is made by Pioneer and costs 850.00. Certainly, the technology is too high end right now to trickle down in to car audio. It is very unlikely it will ever happen.