Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

90 accord lx system problems

Old 02-24-2003, 02:05 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 accord lx system problems

on my 90 accord lx, i have (2) JL 12w0's, kenwood 600watt, 1 farad cap, and an alpine cdm-7874 head unit........new battery, alternator is good, all the audio equipment is less than a year old or brand new....here's the problem.....when you have it up loud(not too loud, everything is clear and sounds good), the amp/subs will eventually cut out for a few seconds.....the gain is way down, like between .5 and 1V.....the head unit has 2 sets of preouts and the specs say 2V(before clipping, whatever that means)......all connections seem fine and i have 4 gauge wire going to the amp and from the amp to cap.....i got a voltmeter and checked the battery's voltage, at idle, with the music up where it normally cuts off and the voltage would drop to around 12 or so, and that's when it would eventually cut out....so obviously it's drawing too much power.....but my question is WTF.....if i have my cap, shouldnt it work good enough to at least prevent this...it only has to be on 10minutes or so before it cuts out..and that IS going down the road, not sitting still...are the electrical systems on these cars just that weak.....there is no point turning the amp down so low that it doesnt cut out, cuz that would defeat the purpose of having a bigger amp....2 different NEW amps have done the same thing.....different brands...pioneer and kenwood.....if i can't get the bump out of it that i paid for, then i'm just gonna sell it and remove the excess weight....
Old 02-28-2003, 07:58 PM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats ODD cuz my AMP (Kicker ZR360) which pulls 80 AMPS at FULL TILT and I play my sub pretty DAMN LOUD but I have not experienced any CUT-OUTS..just the typical LIGHTS DIMMING..

maybe the ALT is Dying...dunno

Mike