Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Autocross ate my clutch, need replacement advice

Old 02-24-2003, 01:22 PM
AwwsChwA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross ate my clutch, need replacement advice

At sunday's San Diego autocross practice, my stock clutch started to fade reeeaaaally badly after the 13th (of 15) lap. I was running 5k RPM on the straightaway, in 2nd gear, goin about 30 mph. That may be good for a formula car, but for a 91 CRX Si, that speed is just *slightly* below what the gearing should allow.

Anyway, I need some advice on two things. First, how long is the life of a stock clutch of a car that's autocrossed? I put the clutch in November of 2001, and as of now it's still good for street driving, but I don't think it's gonna take any more track use. Does this sound like a decent life span for a stock clutch used for non-stock (and stock) purposes?

Second, what's a good clutch to replace it with? Should I just continue using a stock clutch and plan on doing a yearly clutch swap? Or is there a good autocross combination that can take the abuse and be reasonable for street driving? I don't mind a stiff clutch, but I don't wanna be chirping tires every time I leave a stop light, either. thanks guys
Old 02-24-2003, 01:36 PM
preylude99

it sounds good because you obviously use it hard. I have seen stock clutches go out in about 6 months of people using them hard, but then Ive also seen stock clutches last the life of the car w/out launching, revving high/shifting hard etc, but lets face it, its a honda who isnt going to rev it hard.... if it is easy then just put another stock clutch, but if you have quite a bit of performace mods then why settle for a stock clutch, im sure you probably already know how much BETTER an aftermarket clutch would be for launching/shifting..... I dont know if it will last longer though because ive also seen aftermarket clutches die quick so you may not want to spend all that dough on an aftermarket clutch just to have to replace it again within a year..... just my .02
Old 02-24-2003, 05:44 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

I know someone with a 1988 Civic 4 door who has 250,000 miles and still on the stock clutch. But he also doesn't dump the clutch at anything higher than 3000K.