Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Installing an Alpine with V-Drive

Old 02-16-2003, 07:09 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing an Alpine with V-Drive

It looks like I'm finally ready to buy my aftermarket deck. I want to do the install myself because it looks really easy and I want to get some know how from the experience. I checked out www.installdr.com and it looks easy enough, except it for one small detail. I plan on getting the Alpine 7894, which requires the built-in amp be wired straight to the car's battery. So my question is, how do I go about wiring the Alpine to the battery?

I haven't purchased anything yet, this is what I figure I need to get:
Honda Mounting kit
Wiring harness
Head Unit :naughty:
12 guage wire kit for wiring amp (from what I've read)

Is that all I need to get up and running? Are there any tools required that wouldn't commonly be found around the house? I read voltmeter, but I figure with the wiring harness that would be unnecessary.

Also, I'm almost dead set on getting the Alpine 7894, but there's a new Alpine out that's very similar in specs, the 9813. It would probably run me an extra $50-100 (CND) more, does anyone know if it would be worth it? The main difference I notice is the support for WMA files, which I have never used. It's just I don't want to buy a deck, then find out I could have paid a bit more and gotten some excellent new feature.

I know of devices out there that enable the use of steering wheel controls with aftermarket decks. I've seen two, and they both run about $100 CND. That seems pricey, considering I'll be getting a remote with my deck. If there's a cheap alternative I would definitely bite, because I'm so used to the using those controls. Anyone know of one?

Some ballpark prices for the mounting kit, harness and wiring for the amp would be appreciated as well. I'm a starvin' student, I'd like to save where I can. :thumbup:
Old 02-16-2003, 08:01 PM
pSiRacer92
Banned

why not buy my kenwood mp-919??? email me if you're interested
Old 02-16-2003, 08:11 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

Originally posted by pSiRacer92
why not buy my kenwood mp-919??? email me if you're interested
A good deck, but I still prefer the Alpine. More power output, better SQ, more intuitive mp3 browsing, time correction. I hear time correction is great for sound quality.

Can anyone confirm if the Alpine 9813 has better EQ controls than the 7894?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:32 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I have yet to use a 9813... but I know you'll be more than happy with a 7894... I dont think the 9813 adds enough features to warrant the extra money spent.

For powering up the deck, you can run a wire to the battery... all you need is the power wire you mentioned and another fuse holder and a 20 amp fuse within 12 inches of the battery, these can be found at an auto parts store. There is also a customer access power tap on the top of the interior fuse box that can be used... there are 4 or 5 recessed terminals... one of which has constant power that the deck needs.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:41 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

I went to a car audio shop today and checked everything out. They have the 7894 on a $100 discount, which is amazing. So I think I'll pick it up. I did however get a good response on the differences between the 9813 and 7894 from another forum. Here it is:

Reasons why the 9813 is better than the 7894

9813:
6ch. time correction (all three sets of preouts)
2/3 way, 6 position,24dB xovers and adjustable slope
5 band parametric EQ
WMA files
Who cares about the better bass engine, it sucks.

7984:
4ch. time correction (subs not correctable, but the rest delay so the subs can sound like they are up front)
3 position 12dB xover
Bass and treble center freq adjustments instead of EQ
No WMA files

The 9813 doesn't look as nice because of the added LED's above the EQ, MX (which also is gay), and Xovers. That's only my opinion though.

I hope this helps.
SumAccordGuy94 - I wish to run the wire straight to the battery. What's the best way to run the wire from behind the deck to the engine bay? I imagine I'll have to do some drilling.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:13 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

There should be a grommet in the firewall somewhere... I have yet to come across a Honda without an unused grommet somewhere in the firewall. It should be pretty easy to find from the engine compartment... you can use that grommet, just poke a hole in it with an awl or similar tool and push the wire through it... the rubber should be tight against the wire insulation to prevent water/air from getting in. It is a good idea to run the wire in split loom tubing, this not only gives a factory appearance but protects the wire from chaffing, oil and heat. Be sure to tie the wire up well to prevent any interference with the cars operation. You should be able to find 1/4" or 1/8" loom at a home center or electrical supply store.

www.parts-express.com will also have everything you'd need to get going... the dash piece, harness, loom, wire... everything. But sometimes its just more convient to buy things like that locally.

With your car, you can re-use the stock mounting brackets to mount the new radio, and use a strap of some-sort to attach the pocket to the radio... this would eliminate the need for a dash kit, but leaves a tiny gap around the radio and is a little more time consuming to do. For ease of instalation, a dash kit maybe your best bet.

good luck
Old 02-19-2003, 06:06 PM
lubs
Jack of few trades

SumAccordGuy94 - Thanks for all the help, but it turns out I won't be installing the head unit myself afterall. Apparently installing the unit myself would void my warranty, so the store I bought it from will be doing it for free for me. It should be in some time next week, I can't wait!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:57 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

u talkin about the car warranty or deck warranty? If its the car warranty, no matter who messes with it, it'll void the warranty on the audio components. As far as the deck goes, it really shouldnt matter who puts it in... I install all my own stuff and I never have a problem if I need warranty work (which is very rare), but it helps when you know someone there, they wont give you a hassle.

But if the install is free, then i'll shut up now.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:27 AM
lubs
Jack of few trades

It would void the deck's warranty. The salesman said Alpine only honours warranty if the deck is installed by a professional installer. I wanted to do it myself for the experience. But since the install is free, I'll shut up now. hehe