Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

Paging CivicSiRacer

Old 02-14-2003, 04:24 PM
erik99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paging CivicSiRacer

Hi,

Thanks for all the help so far.

Do you think a '88-'91 Civic DX HB would be a good project car for STS? I know the Si model is the hot ride, but they are few and far between. Plus, I could use the extra head room.

Can you tell me the basic differences in suspension set-up between the '92-'95 HB's and the '88'91......'92-'95 HB's seem to be gone before the ad hits the paper.

Thanks again,

Erik
Old 02-14-2003, 06:43 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Hrm. I would think the 88-91 Civic DX HB would be an underdog compared to the 88-95 Civic Si's. You are down on HP and torque with that car. But yeah I know about looking for an 89 Civic Si since that's the lightest one.

But the basic suspension differences I couldn't tell ya Sorry!
Old 02-15-2003, 03:56 AM
erik99

Yes, I'll be down on hp a little bit. But if the handling can be the same (re:copy Chris Shenefield's set up) as an Si, things won't be that bad....no?

My biggest detractor is my lack of driving skill. I've only raced a handful of times and plan to get out there plenty with a dedicated car.

If I get into it big time, I'd love to do an engine swap and play in the SM class.

Anything else would be appreciated.

-Erik
Old 02-15-2003, 07:30 AM
CivicSiRacer

You have to remember that Chris Shenefield has about 10 years of autocross experience under his belt. And that Si he had definitely wasn't a daily driver. I drove his car at a local event and it was a street legal go-kart. My first time out in the car I tied his fastest run. My 2nd run I was .2 seconds faster, and my 3rd run I had a passenger in the car and got the same time as my 2nd run.

I ended up with a 30.1. In my car (2000 Honda Civic Si) with 8 runs I got a 30.5'ish. Weight had a big factor in his car, but another thing was power delivery.

I think you might do well locally with a DX, but the extra HPs and torque will help alot.

With my car if I was able to shave another 100-200lbs I would be on par with Chris' car. But he sold his 1989 Civic Si fully equipped for $5000. I wish I had the money :0
Old 02-15-2003, 07:46 AM
erik99

Like I said, my driving skill is the thing needing the most work. That's why I'd like to get something cheap and easy to fix, but with decent handling and potential.

Chris was nice enough to respond to an email directly. He was of the opinion that the DX an Si could be set up in a similar fashion, but the Si gearing and torque would give it the edge.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 02-15-2003, 09:27 AM
CivicSiRacer

Originally posted by erik99
Like I said, my driving skill is the thing needing the most work. That's why I'd like to get something cheap and easy to fix, but with decent handling and potential.

Chris was nice enough to respond to an email directly. He was of the opinion that the DX an Si could be set up in a similar fashion, but the Si gearing and torque would give it the edge.

Thanks,
Erik
Yep forgot about that. The DX gearing is so tall I think Chris was thinking of doing an update/back date with the DX and SI since they are both in the same stock class or Street Prepared class. But I know now he gave up on that idea and is doing Street Mod next year in a DX