Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Idq12 V.2 D2

Old 02-07-2003, 05:38 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idq12 V.2 D2

Hey guys, I have the ability to get these subs, brand new, for $200 plus shipping, is that a good deal? The amp I will be using to push them is a Lanzar OptiDrive 500.2, it does 450rms x 2@2ohms, and these subs are dual 2ohm coils so I was thinking about running the coils in series(4 ohms) then wiring the subs in parallel(2ohms) and bridging the amp so it puts out 900rms x 1 @ 2ohms. would this be correct or would the amp see a 1ohm load when I bridge it? And is this a good deal for the subs? They are brand new in the box.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:13 AM
b00gers

dual2 in series will net 4 OHM per sub, then in parallel, will be 2OHM for the pair.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:14 AM
rcurley55

just make sure you port them...trust me
Old 02-07-2003, 11:34 AM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by rcurley55
just make sure you port them...trust me
why? they won't sound good in a 1 cu ft. sealed enclosure(2 cu ft. for the pair) What im trying to do is upgrade subs but be able to keep my current box, a sealed enclosure w/ 1 cu ft. per driver. Not only that, but they need to be able to handle 450 watts rms and be decent sq/spl subs. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2003, 12:49 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by 94uhkord
why? they won't sound good in a 1 cu ft. sealed enclosure(2 cu ft. for the pair) What im trying to do is upgrade subs but be able to keep my current box, a sealed enclosure w/ 1 cu ft. per driver. Not only that, but they need to be able to handle 450 watts rms and be decent sq/spl subs. Any suggestions?
I just prefer the sound of IDQ's when they are ported. Ask WiLL which he likes better, he has both of my old boxes and my old IDQ. I ran them both ways (0.85 gross sealed, and 1.5 gross ported, tuned to ~30Hz), I prefered the ported.

1 cube per side is a bit large for an IDQ V2 12 with 450W, but it should be fine. They are rated to 350W RMS, and I put around that much or 400W into it ported easily. You may want to add a brace or two to make the box a bit smaller. Past that I think that you would be fine with those.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:16 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I just prefer the sound of IDQ's when they are ported. Ask WiLL which he likes better, he has both of my old boxes and my old IDQ. I ran them both ways (0.85 gross sealed, and 1.5 gross ported, tuned to ~30Hz), I prefered the ported.

1 cube per side is a bit large for an IDQ V2 12 with 450W, but it should be fine. They are rated to 350W RMS, and I put around that much or 400W into it ported easily. You may want to add a brace or two to make the box a bit smaller. Past that I think that you would be fine with those.
the specs on a sealed enclosure for these subs is .65-1.0cubes. The box is already together so can't really add a brace, would I be able to use polyfill? Would that suffice? I think im gonna get these subs if the wiring will work out? This is my question, I can wire the subs to a 2ohm load(series/parallel) but when I bridge the amp, won't that cut the load down to 1ohm? I don't think I want to run it at 1ohm, it's probably not too stable at high volumes at that impedance. Am I right or wrong on the impedance the amp will see as being 1ohm mono?
Old 02-08-2003, 11:24 AM
rcurley55

Originally posted by 94uhkord
the specs on a sealed enclosure for these subs is .65-1.0cubes. The box is already together so can't really add a brace, would I be able to use polyfill? Would that suffice?
I'm just saying that with the extra power, a smaller box would be helpful....you could just as easily buy a 2x4 cut it up, and screw it to the inside of the box, very easy if the box has a partition...that's what I would do.

Polyfill is not the answer.

I think im gonna get these subs if the wiring will work out? This is my question, I can wire the subs to a 2ohm load(series/parallel) but when I bridge the amp, won't that cut the load down to 1ohm? I don't think I want to run it at 1ohm, it's probably not too stable at high volumes at that impedance. Am I right or wrong on the impedance the amp will see as being 1ohm mono?
What is your amp rated for? What amp is it?

If it's stable to a 2 ohm mono load, get the D2's. The amp will see a 2 ohm nominal mono load (1 ohm nominal stereo load).
Old 02-08-2003, 06:19 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

I'm just saying that with the extra power, a smaller box would be helpful....you could just as easily buy a 2x4 cut it up, and screw it to the inside of the box, very easy if the box has a partition...that's what I would do.

Polyfill is not the answer.

What is your amp rated for? What amp is it?

If it's stable to a 2 ohm mono load, get the D2's. The amp will see a 2 ohm nominal mono load (1 ohm nominal stereo load).
Polyfill is to make a smaller box sound like a larger one? I forget. Anyways, I think I will take my chances w/my current box, im sure they'll sound good, at least better than my current setup of cerwin vega hed 12's and jbl bp300.1 amp. The amp im getting is a Lanzar OPTI500.2, I think this amp and the subs listed in the title would be a better sounding, and louder setup over what I currently have. Would you agree?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:06 AM
b00gers

it will sound fine with your current box. and yea, i got my IDQ from robert, and also 2 boxes to try them out in. the sealed box was a regular Q-logic box. even in that box the sub sounded great! but ive kept it in the ported box since ive gotten it, if that says anything.

:thumbup:
Old 02-14-2003, 04:36 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

Originally posted by WiLL
it will sound fine with your current box. and yea, i got my IDQ from robert, and also 2 boxes to try them out in. the sealed box was a regular Q-logic box. even in that box the sub sounded great! but ive kept it in the ported box since ive gotten it, if that says anything.

:thumbup:
I guess I didn't tell you guys, I had to pass on the subs. No way possible to get them to a 4ohm mono load on that amp at 1ch, I could get it to 2ohm mono, whichs is 1ohm stereo, but that amp isn't very stable for long periods of time at that impedance But it's cool though, im just gonna work the crap out of my Vegas, im gonna give em 900 watts rms between the both of them, but of course my gains will be turned almost all the way down so I don't blow them up before im ready to upgrade.