Notices

Replacing front rotors on 97 CL 3.0

Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
bacchus418

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing front rotors on 97 CL 3.0

We're having a hard time replacing the front rotors on a 1997 Acura CL 3.0. The hub is outside the rotor and we have removed the four bolts that go from the hub into the rotor. We have also removed the axle nut but the hub will not come off. Any tips here? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 AM
ENFORCER

First off.... Go ahead and put the axel nut back on. You wont need to mess with it. Then take a dead blow hammer (rubber mallet) or something similar and hit the rotor on the face on the top, bottom, left, and right alternating. Dont use a metal hammer to do this or you will chew up your rotors. If its all you have avalable just be sure to put a block of wood between the hammer and the rotor. It will let go eventually
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 AM
bacchus418

Originally Posted by ENFORCER
First off.... Go ahead and put the axel nut back on. You wont need to mess with it. Then take a dead blow hammer (rubber mallet) or something similar and hit the rotor on the face on the top, bottom, left, and right alternating. Dont use a metal hammer to do this or you will chew up your rotors. If its all you have avalable just be sure to put a block of wood between the hammer and the rotor. It will let go eventually
Sorry man, that is not right.

I found out that the 97 CL is a "captured rotor" setup. Similar to the 93 Accord. The hub is OUTSIDE the rotor, like I said. So the wheel bearing and hub must be pressed out of the rotor in order to free it. See the attached pdf.
Attached Files
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
ENFORCER

Interesting..... I stand corrected