Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Component Speaker Installation

Old 01-28-2003, 02:15 PM
gutmoburb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component Speaker Installation

hey all,

Just bought a pair of infinity component speakers for my 94 integra coupe and wondered if anyone else has had experience installing them. Some initial questions I had are, what is the best location for the tweeter, and what is the best way to create the hole. Also, what might be a good location for the crossover? Given the high risk of permanently damaging my car, I just wanted to see if there were some thoughts out there before I commited to surgery. Can't wait to get them installed though, they sound awesome!

gutmo
Old 01-28-2003, 02:34 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

im a lazy bastard and i just put the tweeter, woofer and crossover all right in the door panel. i had my panels off for a week, while i painted them and when i held the tweeter up near me, it was much clearer and a little louder. i didnt want to risk cutting my door and messing it up, thats why i stuck them in the door.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:03 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Well, does your Integra already have a tweeter there??? Only the GSR's did in 94 and not the LS or RS. If not, then its OK. When you take the door panel off, you'll actually see the markings of where the stock tweeter is supposed to go. It's up to you, but I think that that is as good as any place to put it. What I did before was use a sharp utility knife to cut the hole for the tweeter mount. Be careful and take your time. I have a 1" scar on my hand as a reminder. As for the crossover, you can also mount it onto the door panel. You'll notice that there's a black plastic cup-thingy on the inside of the lower mid portion of the door panel. If the crossover isn't too big, then see if it will fit in the pastic cup. If so, then get some velcro with an adhesive backing and attach it to the back of the crossover and the plastic cup thing. Wa la!!! Easy man!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 03:59 PM
gutmoburb

Awesome... no my car doesn't currently have the tweeter, but I'm glad to hear there is a cut out location already present. Where exactly is it?
Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-28-2003, 04:02 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

You'll see what I mean when you take the door off. Its near the corner closest to the front top corner.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:03 PM
gutmoburb

rockin.... my confidence is now unstoppable.

ea pp st
Old 01-31-2003, 01:24 PM
Diabolik
Has an M3 now...

If you want the best sound out of them... put in kick panels.

Kick panels with the Infinity components, and another set of tweeters in your door will really bring out your imaging.

-Diabolik
Old 01-31-2003, 05:19 PM
Ochdx

Where to get good kickboxes, not the q-forms crap?
Old 02-02-2003, 08:05 AM
Diabolik
Has an M3 now...

Make them yourself or have someone make them for you. It's not that hard, but it takes a lot of time. Mostly time waiting for fiberglass to dry.

-Diabolik
Old 02-02-2003, 02:13 PM
gutmoburb

Just finished putting my components in... couldn't have been easier. Thanks again for the help in locating the existing cutout locations. I ended up using a drill to create a perforated border around the tweeter cutout which I then literally popped out with a hammer. A metal file did the rest of the work, and they look great. And the sound! Soooooooooooo much better. My old speakers literally had disentigrated into crumpled paper. Anyway, just wanted to share the knowledge wealth and say thanks again for all the input. Peas....

Gutmo