Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

General 4WD RWD n FWD questions

Old 01-25-2003, 10:44 PM
VtecApprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General 4WD RWD n FWD questions

Hi all the experiance racer here :wavey:

just wondering why issit only 4WD n RWD cars can drift n why not FWD hondas Civic n Integra ? ? ? I just want to know whats happening on the clutch break n accelerator during a drift ? ? ? why issit when a RWD car is drifting, the driver will be controlling the accelerator and when driver want the car to go straight again after the drift, he will also press the accelerator ? ? ? both drifting n going straight again are control using accelerator ? ? ? that must be very difficult ? ? ? ? ?

ThaNkzZzZ:naughty:
Old 01-26-2003, 01:33 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Default Re: General 4WD RWD n FWD questions

Originally posted by VtecApprentice
Hi all the experiance racer here :wavey:
I'll save some of the experienced guys the trouble and attempt to answer this, although I have a hunch it'll be moved very soon...

Originally posted by VtecApprentice just wondering why issit only 4WD n RWD cars can drift n why not FWD hondas Civic n Integra ? ? ? I just want to know whats happening on the clutch break n accelerator during a drift ? ? ?
Actually you can drift in about almost any car. But it's just rather dumb and pointless to have to pull the ebrake on your civic/integra, and go @zz-dragging around every turn. McDonald's trays, anyone?

Kick in the clutch on your FWD car during a turn and you'll plow off the road. Kick in the clutch on a RWD car during a turn and you'll be facing the apex.

Originally posted by VtecApprentice why issit when a RWD car is drifting, the driver will be controlling the accelerator and when driver want the car to go straight again after the drift, he will also press the accelerator ? ? ? both drifting n going straight again are control using accelerator ? ? ? that must be very difficult ? ? ? ? ?
Hrm. Actually all cars regardless of drivetrain are controlled using the accelerator. The key point you're missing here is the way the driver presses the accelerator. It's just that for FWD/AWD cars getting yourself back in line is a relatively simple matter of pointing in the direction you want to go and applying throttle. One of the big reasons why rally cars tend to be FWD or AWD.
For RWD, you have to modulate the throttle with a bit more care to avoid power-on-oversteer.

Shingo

ps. Do you watch Initial D?
Old 01-26-2003, 07:44 AM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

In my personal opinion drifting is the slowest way around a corner where grip is high. Drifting will make you quicker if the surface is loose or low on grip.

But to drift the rear wheels should be pushing the car, and the front wheels should be turning. Can't really do that in a FWD car - this is considered skidding or oversteer.

Time and time again I've seen guys at autocrosses ask why when they were drifting their times were slower than mine. My only response is if you are slipping (drifting) then you are not accelerating - which means quicker times. I like to be on the accelerator 95% of the time and braking 5% of the time
Old 01-29-2003, 10:45 AM
JonD

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
In my personal opinion drifting is the slowest way around a corner where grip is high. Drifting will make you quicker if the surface is loose or low on grip.

But to drift the rear wheels should be pushing the car, and the front wheels should be turning. Can't really do that in a FWD car - this is considered skidding or oversteer.
AWD, the rear and front are hauling :naughty: see sig...lol