Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Turning off stereo before turning off car

Old 01-19-2003, 07:59 PM
nando11211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning off stereo before turning off car

How many of you guys do it? Do you turn down the volume of the stereo then shut it off before turning off car? Or do you just turn off the car with the stereo on?

Just wondering because I turn down and turn off my stereo before turning off my car just so when I turn on my car next time it doesnt send immediate blast of sound to my speakers.

Does it matter if you do it either way?
Old 01-19-2003, 09:18 PM
LjN_728

Dang how loud do you listen to your music? Yeah i turn it down only cuz when i leave the volume too loud and kill the engine, my amp doesn't receive any input for a sec and when i turn my radio back on later, it takes like 2 secs for the sound to come back.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Phreaxer

You should turn the music down before you park anyways. Not because of damage you may cause, but for the simple fact that if you come down the street bumpin real loud, someone will hear it and want it. then if you park your car in that area, it will be taken.... sorry if this is kinda poorly written, i wrote it fast.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:15 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I might turn down the volume a bit just so it doesn't kill me or whoever is riding with me next time I start it up. But not because it's good/bad for the equipment.

My gf swears by turning off the radio and making sure the fan is off before turning off the car. She makes sure everything is off. It doesn't seem to help or hurt it either way, I tell her not to waste her time. oh well
Old 01-20-2003, 01:42 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

It makes no difference - turning it down and off or just leaving it on....
Old 01-20-2003, 04:38 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

The idea of turning off all electrical accessories dates back to before the mid 1960's when cars had generators instead of alternators, and they didn't have accessory switching. So you could turn anything on without the engine running. You had to make sure everything was turned off before you shut the car down, otherwise, your battery died very quickly..... don't forget, back in those days, electric motors and tube amplifiers (yes car radios were tube amps before the late 1960's) pulled high current. Today, cars have the ACC switching, but not only that, when you start the car, it cuts all power to everything except the starter untill you release the key. Thats why your dash goes dark when you start the car. So in other words, no, you don't need to turn everything off now. But I do suggest turning your stereo down.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:25 PM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

I turn my down so I don't scare the hell out of myself when I start my car again.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:39 PM
b00gers

Originally posted by SirSmokeAlot
I turn my down so I don't scare the hell out of myself when I start my car again.
thank you ....music is louder to me when i first get in the car.h:
Old 01-21-2003, 08:41 AM
smokedogg

Originally posted by Phreaxer
You should turn the music down before you park anyways. Not because of damage you may cause, but for the simple fact that if you come down the street bumpin real loud, someone will hear it and want it. then if you park your car in that area, it will be taken.... sorry if this is kinda poorly written, i wrote it fast.
:werd:

thats the only reason i turn mine down