Notices
Track & Autocross Talk lap times and race lines.

suspension problem, please help.

Old 01-17-2003, 05:48 PM
fr0zen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension problem, please help.

ok, about a week ago my right front wheel started making a clicking/scraping sound. i asked some people about it and they all said it's my cv joint, but i KNOW it's not the cv joint. i replaced the cv joint before and it is not making the same sound. it is a scraping, not a clicking. it happens as the wheel spins, doesnt matter if i'm turning or not. 2 days ago i went to take off my right wheel to see if i could figure out the problem and i noticed the tire was BALD on the outside. it looks like something is scraping the tire, but why would this all of the sudden happen now?? the left front tire is balled also, but it doesnt look like something is scraping it. i JUST got these new toyo tires and theyre already shot. somebody help.

here is a picture of the right front tire:

i'm probably going to take it to a shop tonight/tomorrow. i'm so tired of throwing money at this car.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:42 AM
jc836

Scraping could be the backing plates/dust shields for the brakes-even pads can make odd noises. Tire wear looks like positive camber and incorrect toe-in.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:58 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

Your brake pads aren't shot are they? The metal prong might be touching the metal rotor. Other than that dust shield is usually the culprit in things like this.
Old 01-18-2003, 02:49 PM
jaje
HC Racer H5

is your car lowered?...and if it is by how much?

if your car's tires are wearing out prematurely then you may have a camber problem...but that would not make much noise...for that issue you could also have a bad hub that makes the noise you are hearing (only when the car moves...accel or decel)
Old 01-18-2003, 03:25 PM
fr0zen

i'm taking it to a les schwab on monday because i'm tired of trying to do all this crap by myself. i want someone else to work on it that knows what they're doing.

thanks for all your help dudes.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:30 AM
stephan
:exnbp:

Kyle if you want me to help you reinstall the camber kit I can help you. Anyways hope you at least checked out what the prob is dood
Old 01-21-2003, 03:30 PM
fr0zen

Originally posted by exnbp
Kyle if you want me to help you reinstall the camber kit I can help you. Anyways hope you at least checked out what the prob is dood
focker. :fawk: i just got my car back and it's all good now.

i had a broken wheel bearing (clicking/scraping sound) and some hardcore toe in (bald tires).

thanks all for your help/suggestions. much appreciated.