Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Misc. Honda/Acura: Brake Fluid Flushing

Old 01-17-2003, 05:10 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misc. Honda/Acura: Brake Fluid Flushing

Import Street Scenes - News, photos, videos and info .. straight from the streets!
http://www.importstreetscenes.com

Thanks www.accordracing.com for the DIY
---------------------

1) Find the brake master cylinder. This is usually located under the hood on the driver’s side of the car, toward the back of the engine compartment.

2) Clean off the reservoir cap and remove it.
Remove the filter screen inside of the reservoir and spray it off with brake cleaner.

3) Using a rag, soak up all the brake fluid in the reservoir and place the filter screen back in

4) Fill up the brake reservoir with an approved brake fluid.

5) Properly support your car on Jack Stands and remove your wheels.

6) Starting with the right rear, remove the rubber nib covering the bleeder screw and undo the bleeder screw appx. 2 turns. The brake fluid will slowly run out, so it would be best to use a container to capture it.

7) Allow appx. one half bottle of brake fluid to drain, then re-tighten the bleeder screw. Spray off the caliper or rear of the drum with brake cleaner.

8) Do the same for the other wheels in this order; left rear, right front, left front.

Tips: Be carefull not to allow the reservoir to run out of fluid. Do Not touch the brake pedal at anytime during this process.

Warnings: Brake fluid is very toxic. Keep it away from hands and eyes, and avoid spilling it on the ground and your vehicles paint. Dispose of empty containers carefully. Wash your hands well after handling brake fluid.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:56 PM
TypeSH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Instructions for cars with ABS?
Old 01-18-2003, 01:10 PM
FourthGenHatch
I'm RICK JAMES, bitch!

When I did this to my car I simply used a Mity-Vac to suck all the fluid out of the car, then I filled up the MC and bled it. Worked great.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:06 PM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

Any Instructions for cars with ABS?
Same for ABS
Old 01-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Fryd_Up
rebmeM roineS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way i did it was I pumped my brakes up, then loosened the bleeder screw, then tightened it, then pumped them again, then loosened it again and tightened it back down for good. Then i pumped the brakes back up again and went to the next wheel and repeated the process.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 PM
TypeSH

Originally posted by b12uceHuy
Same for ABS
the ABS fluid is not drained out normally like this... not that i know of, at least not on accords. I know its a diff procedure, but not too familar w/ it.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:54 AM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

I gots a 2000 accord EX Coupe with ABS and I flushed out the system BONE dry by

Starting with the right rear, remove the rubber nib covering the bleeder screw and undo the bleeder screw appx. 2 turns. The brake fluid will slowly run out, so it would be best to use a container to capture it.

But i pumped the brake.

7) Allow appx. one half bottle of brake fluid to drain, then re-tighten the bleeder screw. I REFILLED THE MC and
Spray off the caliper or rear of the drum with brake cleaner.

8) Do the same for the other wheels in this order; left rear, right front, left front.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:12 AM
TypeSH

ahh found it, read:

http://www.accordinglydone.com/tech.php?ID=14

but anyone actually do this w/o the "service tool", or can explain step by step how to do a full flush of ABS fluid?

I wasn't talking about flushing reg fluid from an ABS equipped car, I was talking about the ABS system fluid.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:16 PM
b12uceHuy
Jizz Maste12

What ever floats your boat :fawk:
JK hehe
Old 02-14-2003, 06:54 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to add something about ABS & the bleeding order...

Depending on how the plumbing is arranged, bleeding will work better or worse depending on what order you do the wheels. If you have a shop manual & it tells you which order, that's the best. If you do the wrong order, its not bad, but you may have to go around again & again until there's no more air.

For non-ABS cars its pretty safe to assume that you do one rear then the diagonally opposite front. Then the other rear & front.

Of the ABS cars that I've had, the recommended order for bleeding is different for each car. The idea is which circuit is likely to leak air into which other circuit so you don't have to re-do it too many times.

Some ABS cars have a separate reservoir & bleeder screw for the ABS. These are bled in addition to the main brakes. My '95 Integra is like this. Old Legends have the bleeder way down low where you can't reach it. The Helm manual for my '95 Integra gives the following order:
1 - Right-rear
2 - Left-front
3 - Left-rear
4 - Right-front
Then you bleed the ABS. Its bleed valve is on the ABS valve body; open it carefully to bleed the pressure out. Then start the engine so the ABS pump runs. Don't let the ABS reservoir get empty, & repeat several times.

Some ABS cars have an ABS unit without any reservoir or bleeder. Brake fluid flows through these as you bleed the main brake system. The difference in this case is the particular arrangement of the valves determines the best bleeding order. The Helm manual for '98 & '99 Accord gives:
1 - Left-front
2 - Right-front
3 - Right-rear
4 - Left-rear
My '01 Saab also has an ABS system that bleeds along with the main brakes, but the order is different:
1 - Left-front
2 - Right-rear
3 - Right-front
4 - Left-rear
I know this isn't the Saab forum, but my point is that the bleeding order can be different depending on how the plumbing is arranged.