Notices

2002 tl-s

Old 04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
BayouJack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 tl-s

Hello!

I just purchased a used, but well taken care of 2002 TL-S w/114,000 miles and am now working through what all needs to be done to get it back into shape. The car drives very well, but it does need some love: I know it needs a new catalytic converter and am pretty sure the timing belt was not changed at 90K. I figure if I do the factory recommendations, I am looking at ~$4000 for the Acura dealership to do all of the work.

2 questions:
1. I live about an hour away from the Acura dealership - in your opinion, can the local Honda dealership do the work, or do you think it best to just have the Acura dealership take care of it.

2. Regarding the changing of the timing belt - does anyone have an opinion on the urgency of getting the belt changed (and all the associated maintenance with the water pump and other belts).

Thanks for your thoughts... Also, the CD player crapped out - if you have an idea where I can pick up a new radio unit for less than the 1100 the dealer wants, I'd love to hear it.

-Jack
Old 04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
cruzalekz

take care of the timing belt if it has'nt been changed coz if it breaks on you you might end up spending a lot of dinero.

at the same time, change the waterpump and the coolant. the other things that it will need can be done one at a time as long as its not brakes.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Don't pay the dealer to do the work, have a local mechanic that works on Honda/Acura do it for probably 1/2 the price. Timing belt is very important, so if you have it hasn't been done, do it right away. As for the radio, try searching ebay or even local salvage yard to pick up one, you don't need to buy a brand new one.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:10 AM
BayouJack

Thanks for the advice guys!