Notices

Paint Problems

Old 01-16-2003, 03:40 PM
Snag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Problems

First time post. I have a 2003 black CL type S. The paint is chipping easily and has exposed bare metal and lifted in some spots. Anyone with similar issues?
Old 01-16-2003, 04:40 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's highly unusual...most likely a factory defect. It's all covered under the Honda warranty, take it in and they'll probably get you a new paint job
Old 01-16-2003, 09:02 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Unless those are rock chips, then you are out of luck.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Snag

They are rock chips, but the clear coat, paint and primer are coming off as one with a square edged hole right to the metal. I would have thought that the primer would offer a higher level of protection for the metal skin.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:21 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by Snag
They are rock chips, but the clear coat, paint and primer are coming off as one with a square edged hole right to the metal. I would have thought that the primer would offer a higher level of protection for the metal skin.
I'm kind of curious as to what the hell you're driving behind. I had 90k on my old Accord, about 95% of those were highway miles, and I think I had two small rock ships on the front end. Isn't this covered under warranty? I thought there was a clause about paint in there?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:28 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

No rock chips are not covered. If the rock struck your hood at a high rate of speed, it will go all the way down to the bare metal. To prevent rusting, you should get some touch-up paint and touch it up. This is just the way of life, not Acura's fault that a rock struck your hood.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-17-2003, 03:33 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by AcuraTL
No rock chips are not covered. If the rock struck your hood at a high rate of speed, it will go all the way down to the bare metal. To prevent rusting, you should get some touch-up paint and touch it up. This is just the way of life, not Acura's fault that a rock struck your hood.
No, I thought that the warranty covered paint chips that weren't caused by rocks and were caused by a defective painting process...like what I thought he was talking about. Doesn't it cover that? I know it doesn't cover rock chips, just like it doesn't cover a tree falling on your car.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:55 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Yes, if it was a paint defect, then the warranty will cover it.

Old 01-17-2003, 05:45 PM
Snag

They are rock chips. Properly primed and properly cured, paint s/b resiliant. I live in western Canada and with tight civic and provincial budgets we have traded graders for gravel to combat winter ice. However, I am anal when it comes to protecting the vehicle from this kind of damage and the car looks like crap in 15,000 miles. I too have an older Honda that has stood up quite well to the years on the road; it still has the original windsheild and paint.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is my issue, not Acura's and that the next time my wife tells me that I really want a black car, I will tell her what she really needs to hear!

Sounds like the end of the tread to me.

Snag
Old 01-17-2003, 05:48 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by Snag
They are rock chips. Properly primed and properly cured, paint s/b resiliant. I live in western Canada and with tight civic and provincial budgets we have traded graders for gravel to combat winter ice. However, I am anal when it comes to protecting the vehicle from this kind of damage and the car looks like crap in 15,000 miles. I too have an older Honda that has stood up quite well to the years on the road; it still has the original windsheild and paint.

I am coming to the conclusion that this is my issue, not Acura's and that the next time my wife tells me that I really want a black car, I will tell her what she really needs to hear!

Sounds like the end of the tread to me.

Snag
Thank you for not passing the blame to Acura like most people would. That shows strength, most people would come in here whining about how they'll never buy a Honda again, etc etc. But no matter how many rock chips your CL-S has, you have one damn nice car

Chris