Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

What is a vcd in a dvd player?

Old 01-14-2003, 06:50 AM
TriniSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a vcd in a dvd player?

I noticed that some dvd players can play jpg and vcd? what is a vcd? Is it mpg on cds? And does the ps2 play jpg and vcds?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:42 AM
xivera
insert witty remark here

VCD is short for Video CD which is more popular in Asia. Before DVD came along people, particularly in Asia, watched movies (almost 1 hr in duration) on VCD which was an early mpeg format in contrast to the format of DVDs... and maybe LDs.
No, the PS2 does NOT play VCD.
Because jpg is just a picture file much like gif, tiff, ond many others, the PS2 cannot display pic files w/o proper disc formatting mpg/mpeg/whatever.

Lately, I have just learned of the PS2's limitations in playing different formats (burned/copy/original) and I have come to a grim reality... Aside from its PS software, the PS2 sucks as a A/V player. I hope Marantz ventures into mobile A/V equipment!
Old 01-14-2003, 05:41 PM
TriniSpeed

Is there anyway to convert .avi and .mpg to dvd player readable?
Old 01-15-2003, 06:43 AM
xivera
insert witty remark here

VCD Help
All you need to know... & then some...
Old 01-15-2003, 07:15 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

www.nero.com Great software for converting and burning VCD's. I've used it many times and works great.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:52 AM
KVZ_Productions

yup.

vcdhelp.com is the shit!

vcd (video cd) is a step under svcd (super video cd) and thats a step under dvd (digital video disc)... you can convert in any direction you want. svcd is very popular in america for bootleged movies ans music videos. you can download music videos off kazza and or irc and they will be in vcd/svcd format. then you can play these in a dvd player that supports vcd/svcd formats. if you have one in your car you can enjoy music videos displayed on your screen while the audio bangs out your system.

Visit www.dvdrhelp.com For More On VCD/SVCD
Or
Visit www.krazyvideoz.com For More On SVCD Music Videos

-Good Luck

-KRAZYMATT