Notices

Cracked seats?

Old 01-06-2003, 02:00 PM
chucker6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked seats?

The leather on the driver's seat of my 2000 3.2 TL has cracked in several places and the dealer is claiming that this is not covered by the warranty. I have never had this happen before, not even on my Triumphs and MG's at this age of service. Anyone know how I can best appeal this? Thanks!

Chuck
Medford, Oregon
2000 TL
Old 01-06-2003, 02:50 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Take a picture and show us. If it is due to wear and tear, the warranty does not cover for that. However, if it shows it was a defect, they will cover it under warranty.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:56 AM
chucker6

Default Cracked seat photos

How is the best way to post these photos? Will the list accept jpg files?
Old 01-08-2003, 10:39 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cracked seat photos

Originally posted by chucker6
How is the best way to post these photos? Will the list accept jpg files?
go to imagestation.com and sign up for an account.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:34 PM
chucker6

Default Cracked seats photo

Here is the link to photos of the seat back at Ofoto. Let me know if this link doesn't work, customer service at Ofoto swears it will. These cracks, apart from the piping on the seat bottom, are in low wear areas, which makes it all the more puzzling to me. As I work in hospital administration, it's not like I have tool belts on either!

I had a Volvo Turbo for 12 years and 144,000 miles in Alaska before it's leather seats started to show this kind of wear, and my '95 Ford SHO leather seats were like new when I sold it after 5 years and 40,000 miles, so I know that leather is normally durable. This looks like cheap leather to my biased eye!

Your perspective is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck
2000 3.2TL
Old 01-10-2003, 12:35 PM
chucker6

Oops, let's try that link again:

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSig...03.42160854703
Old 01-10-2003, 03:13 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

Originally posted by chucker6
Oops, let's try that link again:

http://www.ofoto.com/ShareLandingSig...03.42160854703
It requires people to sign up an account we can view all the photos. You can link the photos from there to here. Just do:

{IMG}and copy and past linke here{/IMG} Just replace the {} to []
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:19 PM
chucker6

Default Cracked seat pictures

Hopefully this will work. The first picture is of the seat back, on the outer edge of the driver's seat, near the shoulder. The 2nd picture is of the lumbar (lower back) region of the seat back, also the driver's seat. What do you think?

Chuck

http://www.imagestation.com/album/ac...d%3D4290819387

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y
Old 01-15-2003, 02:19 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

You know what, my sister's Accord V6 had similar cracks, however, hers was on the side of the seat and even thought her car's warranty had expired, Honda sent a representative out and looked at it and agreed it was a defect and replaced it.

For your seat, unfortunately, it is within where you would sit and it probably falls into the category of (wear and tear). I've had my TL for 4 years now and my seat is still brand new. Do you put conditioner on your seats? If not, you should definitely think about it.

Old 01-15-2003, 02:27 PM
chucker6

Default cracked seats

I'll work my way up through the Acura ladder. No way is this normal wear and tear, unless Acura compares itself to a Yugo. I've never had this problem on any other car (or motorcycle) with leather seats at less than 10 years. FWIW, I do use Mother's leather cleaner and conditioner, and I have an office job, so the seat's don't get abused by dirt, rough clothing etc. The problem appears to be an extraordinarily thin (cheap?) leather surface.

Chuck
Medford, Oregon